• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Scorpion-ghost f-whatever sold as reaper?

2AA753A9-845A-4668-B80D-7FAC294406CC.jpeg
FFB8201B-DFEA-4488-B22D-91FCEB75234E.jpeg
FFED6ED3-CCB7-4154-95ED-E019C01E6F2C.jpeg
(Forgive the photos- they were taken on the “live” setting) All three of these peppers are from the same plant. It was labeled “carolina reaper” but I see some sort of F2-3-4-5 scorpion-ghost? Or something… I’ll get more pics. Some of the pods have “claws” - one has 3 fingers and a thumb! - a couple crab-claws… but more than half of the fruit look like ghost peppers. Maybe 20%-ish are “bumpy” or “blistery”? Whatever…. guesses? - I can’t “taste” at this heat. It’s hot!!! Smells fruity and for a split second it tastes fruity but at this heat I can’t tell the difference between 1.5? And 2 million.

Last edited:
Agreed, definitely not reaper.

I had a couple of mine (started from seed) show that shape too, seems there's always one here and there. Not sure if it's mixed up seeds or just that particular plant didn't breed true.

Reactions: BDP
Agreed, definitely not reaper.

I had a couple of mine (started from seed) show that shape too, seems there's always one here and there. Not sure if it's mixed up seeds or just that particular plant didn't breed true.
I found something listed for sale today called a “scorpion hulk” - sounds entirely unstable and matches what I’m seeing on my plant… assorted mix of scorpion to bhut jolokia and several with “arms” and “claws” https://bohicapepperhut.com/products/scorpion-hulk-seeds

- seems like someone had an F1 reaper look-alike and mislabeled seeds - mine came from a big chain store and was sold under the “chef jeff” brand.

The same happened to me. Seeds sold as reapers then dissapointment at the end of the season. To this day I have never gotten reapers out of so called reaper seeds.

Back