• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

recipe Scorpion pineapple sauce

Howdy all!

So, my local grocer had some scorpions! This is very exciting.

Anyhow, I thought I would try a new recipe idea I had kicking around. I would love your feedback before getting going.

1 pineapple, grilled

2 onions

3 garlic cloves

chopped fresh cilantro

1 or 2 scorpions

2 tablespoons honey

Ground coriander

2 cups vinegar (thinking white, but maybe apple cider?)

cook 10 minutes, blend, and strain.

Sound solid?

I wouldn't strain it you'll lose some good stuff. You should be able to cook it to smooth and nothing wrong with some little bits of pineapple and onion.

Recipe sounds good. Cilantro may turn slimy. You want to really pulverize it. Put it in your blender with some pineapple juice and/or vinegar and blend it until you have a green juice.

The Hot Pepper said:
I wouldn't strain it you'll lose some good stuff. You should be able to cook it to smooth and nothing wrong with some little bits of pineapple and onion.

Recipe sounds good. Cilantro may turn slimy. You want to really pulverize it. Put it in your blender with some pineapple juice and/or vinegar and blend it until you have a green juice.
Good advice for the cilantro. Will do!

sirex said:
If I'm grilling pineapple, id probably grill the onion and char the garlic. But that's just me.

Sounds like a solid recipe.
Ohhhh...yeah, good call on the onions and garlic, too.

I am very excited. Ok. Time to get cooking!

Because I'm a moron (and not super used to photo documenting my cooking), I didn't get the shot of it grilling, but I used my PitBoss to char the pineapple, onion, and garlic. Here it is the pot though, simmering away:

P21f3FR.jpg

Hoo. Boy.

Those scorpions really get you coughing when they cook, eh?

sirex said:
Oh yeah they do.

Don't be afraid to let em char more either. You know sometimes when I'm feeling super lazy I'll just hit em all w the blowtorch ;) ssshhh don't tell no one
Do you ever char the peppers? I just chucked em in, but the thought did cross my mind.

Well...in a turn of highly auspicious events, I managed to drop the box of bottles I was getting read to sterilize. I had one. One bottle that survived.

So, here it is:

qkvvfPK.jpg

I quickly cleaned some mason jars to store the sauce in until I can get some bottles. It can live in the fridge for now.

Side question: is there any reason not to use the black poly caps instead of whatever that foam is inside the standard woozy caps? I was thinking, since I have to get new bottles, of getting some boston round bottles instead of woozy bottles, but the ones on Amazon only have poly caps. Any reason that wouldn't work?

Edit: forgot the honey. Oops. Final pH 3.4

Poly caps will work. Depending on the bottle size, sometimes Boston rounds have a smaller opening than woozies.

It's too late for this recipe, but you could of used 1 cup pineapple juice and a cup vinegar. Pineapple juice has about as much acidity as vinegar for pH, and will give a little more sweetness that all vinegar.

Ps...that really stinks about the broken bottles. Good thinking to grab the Mason jars.

Sinn said:
Looks good, how's the taste?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

It came out really good. I'm not used to having cooked sauces, so tasting it hot and tasting it as it cooled were two different animals. The saltiness might be a wee bit high for the sauce on its own, but when put on stuff is pretty good. The sweetness of the pineapple comes through nicely up against the taste of the peppers. Scorpions might be my new favorite pepper.

sirex said:
Oh yeah. Peppers, onions, garlic, carrots. It'll all get charred if that's what I'm looking for.

I'll give that a try next time. I was apprehensive charring some Scorpions. These are definitely the hottest peppers I've worked with. I've had some really hot habaneros, but these were next level.

salsalady said:
Poly caps will work. Depending on the bottle size, sometimes Boston rounds have a smaller opening than woozies.

It's too late for this recipe, but you could of used 1 cup pineapple juice and a cup vinegar. Pineapple juice has about as much acidity as vinegar for pH, and will give a little more sweetness that all vinegar.

Ps...that really stinks about the broken bottles. Good thinking to grab the Mason jars.
That's a good idea for the pineapple juice! I even have a couple small cans on the bar for cocktails. I'll definitely do that next time. The vinegar flavor isn't as in your face as I assumed it would be.

Good to know about the Boston's. I love little stumpy beer bottles and though they might be neat for hot sauce. Maybe for a thinner sauce. This came out pretty thick.

Yeah, the bottles thing sucked, but...shit happens, as they say. Fortunately I have a number of quart sized mason jars around because I do most of my small batch ferments in those. Gave em a good quick cleaning before moving the sauce to them. Since the pH was pretty low, I'll let it hang out in the fridge for a bit until the new bottles come and reheat and bottle later.

I made my very first hot sauce... When I saw this thread a while ago, it caught my interest, so my first hot sauce became pineapple-based :)

I used fresh pineapple (not cheap now - M$30/fruit - but very delicious) which I chopped in small blocks and allowed them to caramelize on low fire together with three chiles (nagabrains and 2 SB, all yellow) and three cloves of roasted garlic: 20-30 minutes (no timer needed, you can smell it from miles away when the time is right). Added half a cup of vinegar and a cup of water, some cilantro and poquito sal. Simmered for some time (~20 minutes). Tossed everything in the blender and voila... I sterilized some jam jars like grandma does and ended up with three jars.

I didn't put the cover while the sauce was simmering, and too much liquid evaporated. The consistency wasn't bad, but it can certainly be improved. I liked the taste and was quite astonished by the evolution of the taste profile. When I tasted the fresh sauce when I poured it out of the blender, it was composed of two tastes: a sweet pineapple and a hot chile. But after a few days, those two intermingled and formed a smooth, complete yet uncomplicated taste profile.

Goes well with smoked foods, especially meat, but I have tossed it on about everything I've eaten since, including crêpes, and improved the taste of commercial pineapple jam with it.

I'm going to work a bit on this one. Good quality pineapple is available fresh the year round.

ze_test said:
have to try this recipes :fireball:  normally do blender them cook 10 min

When you blend (fresh) pineapple, you end up with its natural sweetness. But if you allow to caramelize its sugar...

I sometimes make piña rellena, similar to the video below. To fry the pineapple in the bacon's oil/grease is a :thumbsup: That will be part of my next experiment: fry the pineapple in a skillet after bacon (and use the bacon for something different).

The video is in Spanish, but if you work in the kitchen now and then, watching the video is enough to understand the "process" ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfpmayfH9Ao

ahayastani said:

When you blend (fresh) pineapple, you end up with its natural sweetness. But if you allow to caramelize its sugar...

I sometimes make piña rellena, similar to the video below. To fry the pineapple in the bacon's oil/grease is a :thumbsup: That will be part of my next experiment: fry the pineapple in a skillet after bacon (and use the bacon for something different).

The video is in Spanish, but if you work in the kitchen now and then, watching the video is enough to understand the "process" ;)

That looks delicious.

Back