• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Scorpion plant fruiting! Bigger, healthier pods?!

Once you have decent sized plants the best thing you can do is continue to provide them with a consistent watering and feeding schedule... making sure to boost your P and K values.  If your nutrients are too high in nitrogen then they will tend to produce more growth and less fruit.  Great supplements for boosting flower/pepper production include gypsum, epsom salt, and potash.

Thanks. I did a ton of research before jumping into this interesting world of chilies. These two Trinidad Scorpion plants are my "let's try this and see what happens" plants.

Now that the plant is producing, be sure to give it a fert mix that includes calcium and magnesium. I and many others here use CalMag by Botanicare, but there are other products out there, too. Calcium is important in preventing BER (blossom end rot) in the pods. You'll be more than a bit disappointed to get good-sized, healthy-looking pods that suddenly have weak walls that may even turn black.... although it's called blossom-end, it may appear first to the side rather than the bottom.

The proper fertilizer is important in pod size, too. As is proper watering, plenty of sun, the right temps, etc. Too much rain can be a problem - if you encounter that move them to cover as long as they're in pots. Pod size is also a matter of energy the plant has to expend - more pods means less energy per pod. So it's kind of a trade-off: do you want large pods or many pods? If you really want large pods, pick some of the flowers/pods so the plant can expend its energy on the ones that remain. I prefer many pods, and find the vagaries of the weather here to be problematic, in that some years I don't get many pods. Though picking flowers/pods to get larger pods can help produce some monsters, I'd hate to do that then risk having adverse weather later in the season cut production short. You probably don't get snow where you're at, so that's less of a consideration for you.

Thanks for all the advice! Can't find CalMag out here where I'm at so I'll try supplimenting with something else. Got the Epsom Salt ready.

Found this thing called "Garden Lime" by Espoma. Any good?

Back