• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds scorpion seedlings curling/dying?

Is this the dreaded damping off or something else? First time growing super-hots from seeds - these were planted ~15 days ago, sprouted a week ago, and I noticed yesterday one of them looked dead. Now today there are a few more that are starting to have the leaves curl up/look like they are drying out.

I have them at 65-70°F, under fluorescent lights for 16-18 hours a day. Watering with a chamomile tea/water mixture, sterilized the potting soil, water from the bottom as much as possible (sometimes use a mister to water top of soil).

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Would hate to lose all the seeds.

http://brienedick.com/unlinked/scorpion2.jpg
http://brienedick.com/unlinked/scorpion.jpg

Overwatering. Those seedlings are young and need moisture, but let them dry out a little and see if they improve. Indoor plants and seedlings need to be watered much less. They are to young to be nutrient deficient. They look good though.

Ok. It's dry here - 5% humidity max - and soil feels pretty dry. I'll back off on watering. What do you suggest? 2x a week?

Also, 2 of the 20 that sprouted died - they are shriveled up. You can see one in pic #2 to the left of the right side seedling.

Ok. It's dry here - 5% humidity max - and soil feels pretty dry. I'll back off on watering. What do you suggest? 2x a week?

Also, 2 of the 20 that sprouted died - they are shriveled up. You can see one in pic #2 to the left of the right side seedling.

When did you last water? The soil looks pretty dry to me. Last yr I had a few seedlings that were falling over and I gave them a little drink and they perked right back up. But if you have recently watered then idk.

I see nothing wrong bottom water em not to much one still has its helmet on, give em time you want moist soil not soaked(dripping wet) it will work out....

natures way. I've killed or lost hundreds(got about 350 plants ATM) over the years live and learn. your plants are babies they should still have covers over em and moist soil. I kept these covered till they touched the top, 1 year later, the Brain Strains and Yellow 7s are great producers, pearls and scorpions doing ok though I lost several, the tepins are all dead though I have hundreds of seeds from em, FaTalli are kickin ass.
IMG_0103.jpg
oh and I still have some Lumbre hanging on as well

Thanks Prehensile - they were drying out! Watered them, put the humidity dome back on, and they're doing great now. Question though - these sprouted a little over 3 weeks ago, and they are just now starting to produce true leaves. Are these slow growing varieties or should I up the heat? They are in a 70 degree(ish) bedroom with grow lights on them for ~16 hours a day.

To me it def looks like underwatering. They will be just fine! Give em a little H2o.

Edit. Just noticed you got it under control.

Back