• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Scorpions in Pennsylvania

I've noticed a couple things over the last couple of years with my Scorpion plants in general. For some reason in my local climate, I have much more success growing the yellow and chocolate varieties compared to any red scorpion phenotype. My yellow and chocolate scorpions are generally much more productive and often produce large pods. Any thoughts on this?

I do not know of any reason as to why it may be true but I too have noticed that my yellow brains are twice as big and twice as fast to ripen as my red brains. I just figured that certain types of peppers respond better to our weather.

Come to think of it my yellow scorps and yellow 7's are loaded. Now red 7's this year, but my red scorps are from AJ's seed and are somewhat loaded. For their size, compared to my yellow scorps they are not that loaded.

Another observation from this season in particular is that my C. pubescens are not producing nearly as many pods (or as large) as they did last year. The Scorpions have always been this way with the yellows and chocos producing more. Correlation between phenotype and local climate conditions? Dunno...

This is definitely a mild summer here. No intense droughts, no 100-degree heat waves, no hurricanes. Yellow and chocolate are generally secondary phenotypes to the primary red. Perhaps it is the perfect weather (heat/rain) for those "weaker" phenotypes. I love it. I don't like the reds as much as the yellows & chocolates myself. I am really liking the DAILY harvests that I have been getting. Aside from the yellows and chocolates, my peach and pumpkin habs are really pumping out pods. The only reds that are producing at comparable levels for me are my red savinas. What is peculiar is my annuums are loaded with pods but are not ripening as fast as my chinenses. Gotta love PA man.

Back