• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Scorpion's?

Hello, could anyone help identify this pepper, it was sold as "maruga scorpion" seeds but it looks a little odd and the pod feels thicker than the scorpion's I've had in the past
IMG_20190903_165513.jpg

Thanks in advance

Yeah they could well be, they're definitely not what I ordered though it's quite sad the amount of times I've bought superhots just to get something completely different. Does anyone know of any honest sellers out there?

Newb said:
Hello, could anyone help identify this pepper, it was sold as "maruga scorpion" seeds but it looks a little odd and the pod feels thicker than the scorpion's I've had in the past
attachicon.gif
IMG_20190903_165513.jpg

Thanks in advance
It looks almost like a plain 'Moruga', which isn't the same as a Moruga Scorpion. The regular Moruga is a habanero type pepper. Who knows what you got though.

Newb said:
They look very similar, what sort of heat/flavour do you get from them? I've never had them before I'm guessing they are similar to habs?

These seeds were marked "Trinidad Yellow Moruga Scorpion".  All of the peppers on this plant have been identical looking to the ones in the pic.  It has been a very prolific plant too.  I'm gonna try to prune it back and overwinter it even though I saved a butt load of seeds from the pods I used.
The heat is waaaaaaaaaay more than a habanero.  Flavor is nice.  I am no connoisseur so I can't say fruity or nutty or anything but I like it.  I have been drying them for powder/flakes to use that way.  (Just have to be careful on scrambled eggs since it's hard to tell much has been used!)

I have a Moruga Scorpion Cardi that the pods look more bonnet like with little stingers.  They are very hot also but are definitely bitter compared to the other.  I'll see if I can find a pic.

Couldn't find any pics so I went outside and took a couple of some green ones on the plant.  Not the best pics but you can see the shape of the pods.
IMG_0894.jpg

IMG_0893.jpg

Scorpions.jpg
I have these. I believe they are Scorpion - not sure specific variety. Even taken off the vine green, they eventually turn orange and even red. Left on the vine long enough, supposedly turn red, so I am waiting.

But here are some of the Scorpions I have - most have the tell-tale stinger; some have only the "nub" - sort of a "nipple without a stinger. I got these seeds from peppers from co-worker who got them when he went home to Chicago. Hotter than Ghosts, so be careful! Happy to share some seeds. From what I know, Scorpions are THE hottest "non-hybrid," natural pepper you can grow, on the order of 1.8 million to 2.0 million SHU. Reapers being a hybrid and coming in at up to 2.2. million SHU.

The Scorpions I have were started late Jan or early Feb, inside, in dark, warm simple plastic container from seeds. Took an old "food plastic container" and popped in some good Miracle Grow soil, about 30 seeds: 5 ghost plants, 5 scorpions, 5 alternate-variety ghost (sort of a bhut jolokia or naga viper - supposedly were from Reapers, but as most know now, seeds from hybrid grow into one of the parent plants - so, most likely a ghost variant), 5 South African Peppadew and what were supposed to be more Reaper seeds from Vietnam  - go figure - they were Thai hot peppers - the ones that are waxy and grow upside down.

I was afraid the Scorpions we not prolific, but I'm just now starting to see about 10 actual fruits!!! Yay! Already plucked 2 - one or two have a sort of blight/blemish - it does not detract from the flavor, but isn't as pretty as the unblemished ones. More pics.

Attachments

• Scorpion still young and green.jpg
    Scorpion still young and green.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Young Scorpion pod just forming.jpg
    Young Scorpion pod just forming.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 84
The pictures I posted above are a very young Scorpion I picked; eventually, after I cut it for a small sliver (MASSIVELY HOT!), then it sat for about 3 days and started getting its orange-ish/reddish color. The other picture is a new pod just forming, before it fully matures are gets the pimples. These are quite a bit hotter; and unique flavor vs. the Ghost peppers I have. The ghosts with the stingers that I have are VERY prolific! Next season, will plant more Scorpion. Only have one plant that made it, though as stated, I planted about 5.

Attachments

• TheHeatIsOn.jpg
    TheHeatIsOn.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 86
The term Scorpion is rather generic. There is more than one strain such as CARDI, Butch-T and Morouga. Even just Trinidad Scorpion is used. The Morouga looks nothing like my CARDIs. Im thrilled with the CARDIs i grew this year. Mine were wickedly hot. Probably twice as hot as the ghost i grew last year and this season had milder temps.

If you want to try them look up Juanitos Peppers. His Scorpion plants/seeds are CARDI seed stock. Mine looked just like the pic on the CARDI seed package. Almost ghost in shape.

None of my CARDIs have much of a tail. A few had small nubs. Nearly all my JPGS have them. I will probably try JRGS next year instead of peach. Loved the size and shape just was not thrilled with the JPGS flavor.

They all looked like this
5Woz7Bw.jpg

Early season CCN Reaper on the left
Rlt8iFI.jpg

I would be cool if they looked like this but red. :D
rDzxVmP.jpg

Back