• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Scotch Bonnet differences?

Hello!
I'm wondering if there's any major taste difference between Scotch Bonnet red, orange and yellow or if it's just the color that's different?

Welcome to THP!  

In all honesty there is only one color type and typical shape of an actual Scotch Bonnet,  which is yellow.  There are many peppers with the name Scotch Bonnet in them but are not true to type.  Usually if you are growing a a variety called "Scotch Bonnet"  it will end up being a type of habanero.

Thank you! :)
Oh alright. I was recommended Scotch Bonnet because it's nice in cooking but I wasn't sure which type of seeds to get since they sell all these different colors.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
They are awesome! Still trying to get Walkerswood to send me a ton for all the photo props I give them :)

Got some Walkerswood on the table right now.   Beef patties in the oven!!!  Will post a thread later for beef patties.

I'm growing Jamaican Golds ( some say they are the same others say a relative) and love them big bulbous and delish .. Really want to get the other colours, but I highly recommend them !

Jamison said:
Welcome to THP!  

In all honesty there is only one color type and typical shape of an actual Scotch Bonnet,  which is yellow.  There are many peppers with the name Scotch Bonnet in them but are not true to type.  Usually if you are growing a a variety called "Scotch Bonnet"  it will end up being a type of habanero.
that is what i am assuming.  I bought the seeds from Judy for the MOA and it is probably the variety that I am most excited about this year.  I also have some supposed Choc SB that i got from either Judy or Buckeye (i don't remember off the top of my head which place).  I also have the Jamaican Hot choc.  I'm curious as to how similar those 2 will be.  

Over the past two seasons I have challenged myself to grow every variety of Scotch Bonnet known or hybrid of SB ... in 2014 I attempted to grow nearly fifty varieties ( lucky with most but eventually this season I have a "Nagabon" thanks to Snagglepuss) and this season thanks to a lot of members on this forum and some old favourites I am growing twenty seven SB varieties .... most are yellow

Trident chilli said:
Over the past two seasons I have challenged myself to grow every variety of Scotch Bonnet known or hybrid of SB ... in 2014 I attempted to grow nearly fifty varieties ( lucky with most but eventually this season I have a "Nagabon" thanks to Snagglepuss) and this season thanks to a lot of members on this forum and some old favourites I am growing twenty seven SB varieties .... most are yellow

Can you tell us which ones are the real standouts in your opinion? Any surprises?

The scotch bonnets I got last year from the nursery where a yellow/orange and shaped like this (not my pic)

I did save seeds from them and I am growing them out this year along with some MAO scotch bonnets. 

Mine look more squash shaped.. Those MoA Ones look like a Moruga .. I cant get over their shape.. If I mixed these two together Im sure I would have a MoA ..

While on that subject, is there a difference between Jamaican Golds and Scotch Bonnets... And how is the MoA version so different? IS it a cross that retained scotch bonnet colour and flavour so they retained the name ?

This year's MoA of which one turNed out red

Ps. Shapes could've been better if not my mites

In regards to MoA.. again stands for the ministry of agriculture

Seeds are st best..and is pure.. i think most that grew them from the first batch of seeds had near perfect true to form.but as time passed. Some seemed to have crossed

The JMOA is the ideal scotch bonnet. And not a cross

KrakenPeppers said:
Mine look more squash shaped.. Those MoA Ones look like a Moruga .. I cant get over their shape.. If I mixed these two together Im sure I would have a MoA ..

While on that subject, is there a difference between Jamaican Golds and Scotch Bonnets... And how is the MoA version so different? IS it a cross that retained scotch bonnet colour and flavour so they retained the name ?
KiNGDeNNiZ said:
This year's MoA of which one turNed out red

Ps. Shapes could've been better if not my mites

In regards to MoA.. again stands for the ministry of agriculture

Seeds are st best..and is pure.. i think most that grew them from the first batch of seeds had near perfect true to form.but as time passed. Some seemed to have crossed

The JMOA is the ideal scotch bonnet. And not a cross
KrackenPeppers sorry I should have made the photograph clearer ... it was a group shot of them all. The centre right (Moruga shaped) is NeBru7 which is a Trinidad Yellow SB x 7 Pot Jonah. I sourced the seed from Australia - Hippy Seed Company ... This is the truest shape I managed last season KiNGDeNNiZ I have to thank you for you generosity early last season as you sent MoA seed via Ronan ( Ronniedeb) to me I grew two of your your plants in soil which produced around forty pods ... seed has now allowed many in the UK's Chilli Galore Forum to grow out this variety this season

Back