• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Scotch Bonnet Freeport Orange?

I received seeds to this pepper as a trade, the seeds are from White Hot Peppers.  Should I keep
my saved seeds labeled as Freeport Orange or Bahamian Goat?  All the pods where bonnet shaped and peach colored, not orange at all.  Very good pepper, and I'm growing it again next season.

Attachments

• IMG_0359 2.jpeg
    IMG_0359 2.jpeg
    46.5 KB · Views: 165
I would maybe keep them labeled as Freeport, maybe with a (peach) designation and see how they grow out next year? They were definitely purchased and labeled as Freeport Orange, seeds came from me by the way Roper. Justin's pheno does look a little more peachy in his pictures as well, but most peach colored peppers will turn more orange if left to ripen anyways right? I know my sugar rush do. Either way, glad it tasted good and did well for you this season. My superhots have been a bust this year.

https://www.whitehotpeppers.com/products/scotch-bonnet-freeport-orange-1?_pos=1&_sid=210513009&_ss=r

I have had both, and I found the two varieties to be essentially identical. The color, shape, and taste of the pods all seemed very similar to me. In the description of the Freeport Orange on his site, Justin suggests that it may just be a slightly different pheno of the Bahamian Goat. I think he could be right. Mix a bunch of them together in a bowl, and I would likely have a hard time telling them apart.

I think your best bet is to ask whoever you got the seeds from. Otherwise, I doubt that there is any way to know for certain. Especially considering that they might actually be the same pepper under different names.

Edit to add: Nevermind, I just saw that the above post gave you the answer, they are Freeport Orange. And all of the Freeport Orange pods that I have tried had a peachy-orange color just like the BG, so I wouldn't really expect them to turn a much darker shade of orange, in spite of their name.

NorCaliente916 said:
I would maybe keep them labeled as Freeport, maybe with a (peach) designation and see how they grow out next year? They were definitely purchased and labeled as Freeport Orange, seeds came from me by the way Roper. Justin's pheno does look a little more peachy in his pictures as well, but most peach colored peppers will turn more orange if left to ripen anyways right? I know my sugar rush do. Either way, glad it tasted good and did well for you this season. My superhots have been a bust this year.

https://www.whitehotpeppers.com/products/scotch-bonnet-freeport-orange-1?_pos=1&_sid=210513009&_ss=r

I'll keep them labeled freeport orange .  Had Bahamian Goat on my grow list, but looks like I already grew it.

Year before last, my scotch bonnets did lousy.  This year was good, hopefully next year will be good 
again because I want to try the P.Dreadie that I still have seeds for.

roper2008 said:
I received seeds to this pepper as a trade, the seeds are from White Hot Peppers.  Should I keep my saved seeds labeled as Freeport Orange or Bahamian Goat?  All the pods where bonnet shaped and peach colored, not orange at all.

NorCaliente916 said:

BlackFatalii said:
I have had both, and I found the two varieties to be essentially identical. The color, shape, and taste of the pods all seemed very similar to me. In the description of the Freeport Orange on his site, Justin suggests that it may just be a slightly different pheno of the Bahamian Goat. I think he could be right. Mix a bunch of them together in a bowl, and I would likely have a hard time telling them apart.

I think your best bet is to ask whoever you got the seeds from. Otherwise, I doubt that there is any way to know for certain. Especially considering that they might actually be the same pepper under different names.

Edit to add: Nevermind, I just saw that the above post gave you the answer, they are Freeport Orange. And all of the Freeport Orange pods that I have tried had a peachy-orange color just like the BG, so I wouldn't really expect them to turn a much darker shade of orange, in spite of their name.
As to what to use ------IMO------- the above posts point to the bold facts above and White Hot Peppers description:

Description: Great orange / peach scotch bonnet. Seeds were collected originally from a market in Freeport, Bahamas. This is very similar to Bahamian Goat and I am thinking just a slightly different pheno.

should we get into a variety naming / phenotype debate?

if you specifically grow and bred the pepper for years to a stable phenotype you should name it.
part of naming the new variety is defining the phenotype (heat, color, shape, etc) so people can identify good pods vs crosses / mutations.

Finding a scotch bonnet at a market and renaming it is not good 
Who knows if it is stable, what the desired attributes are.
Maybe it is some guy/lady's baby they have grown for years in their field then someone found it and just rename it.  
Maybe it is some random scotch bonnet cross a bro got in his field and hes just trying to get rid of them. 
we have no idea, people shouldn't get to just rename a random pepper.

---

But since we are already at this point i would say..
Call it exactly what you bought it as, you shouldn't just change the name based on what you think it is. 
or if you are 100% certain it is the same as bahamian goat, call it bahamian goat but note that the source of seed is freeport orange scotch bonnet. 

---

this is why a public database for tracking phenotypes / accessions / sources would be very useful (similar to how government databases work)

but once you start requiring user to put in so much information it starts being like a job and people just don't care anymore lol

juanitos said:
should we get into a variety naming / phenotype debate?

if you specifically grow and bred the pepper for years to a stable phenotype you should name it.
part of naming the new variety is defining the phenotype (heat, color, shape, etc) so people can identify good pods vs crosses / mutations.

Finding a scotch bonnet at a market and renaming it is not good 
Who knows if it is stable, what the desired attributes are.
Maybe it is some guy/lady's baby they have grown for years in their field then someone found it and just rename it.  
Maybe it is some random scotch bonnet cross a bro got in his field and hes just trying to get rid of them. 
we have no idea, people shouldn't get to just rename a random pepper.

---

But since we are already at this point i would say..
Call it exactly what you bought it as, you shouldn't just change the name based on what you think it is. 
or if you are 100% certain it is the same as bahamian goat, call it bahamian goat but note that the source of seed is freeport orange scotch bonnet. 

---

this is why a public database for tracking phenotypes / accessions / sources would be very useful (similar to how government databases work)

but once you start requiring user to put in so much information it starts being like a job and people just don't care anymore lo
OKAY, if you read my post above, I’m keeping it as labeled.

+1 to what BlackFatalii and JediSushi said; the two varieties are similar enough to be basically indistinguishable. I grew both this year, did blind taste years with my Bonnet Testing Panel ppl, and we couldn't find a difference of identify one versus the other with any kind of consistency. The relative levels of ripeness played a way larger part than which plant they came off of. The Freeport Orange looked, smelled, and tasted the same as the BGoat.

For the record, the color isn't really orange, but it's orangey-er than peach. The ancient lighting plays a crucial role in the perceived color. They can look peachy, orangey, or even almost a pale salmon pink.

In closing, i just wanna say that, if the two strains ARE identical, "Bahama Goats" is the far cooler name, so that's the one I'm going with.

Back