• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Scotch Bonnet or Habanero

Hi guys. This is my first year growing peppers. The reason I decided to grow peppers this year was because I saw a cooking show in which they discussed jerk using scotch bonnets. Instead of trying to find somewhere to buy the peppers I simply decided to grow them. So I found a website that sold scotch bonnet seeds but they came in a mixed pack with habanero seeds. Against my better judgment I bought the mixed pack and now I don't know which plant is which. When they ripen if they turn yellow I will know they are scotch bonnets and if they turn orange it will be a habanero. If they turn red then it could be either or. Having little patience left waiting for them to ripen I decided to consult you guys being that it appears you know a thing or two about peppers (quite the understatement). I was hoping you could go to http://s520.photobucket.com/albums/w328/josh9404/ and check out my plants and let me know if you could tell which plants where which.
On a side note, to my surprise, I find myself getting addicted to growing peppers and am already thinking about next years pepper garden.

LUCKYDOG said:
Unfortunatly those look like all habs sorry
Yea I was starting to worry and think the same thing. Some of the pods are pretty curled on plant 1 so I figured I would ask. Oh well. Live and learn I guess. Next year I will have to get my act together. Appreciate the response though.

welcome from Fort Worth Josh...I looked at the photos and the very first picture I thought plant 1 was a scotch bonnet but the other plant 1 pics look like habs to me...have to agree with LD...

LUCKYDOG said:
man I deleted my first post trying to attach an image what a noob

roflmao

The third one looks like a Tobago orange Scotch bonnet -- did it mention what types of Scotch Bonnets they were supposed to be ? mine are more squashed looking like the second picture

LUCKYDOG said:
man I deleted my first post trying to attach an image what a noob
That's OK I read it. Thanks for the chili man pics. I still have no idea. Some of the pepper pods resemble some of the peppers in those photos but others look more like a habanero. Plus I must apologize for the pics not being all that great I tried to get some of the flowers, leaves, and fruit, but my camera's auto focus was not cooperating.

AlabamaJack said:
welcome from Fort Worth Josh...I looked at the photos and the very first picture I thought plant 1 was a scotch bonnet but the other plant 1 pics look like habs to me...have to agree with LD...
Thanks for the welcome and thoughts.

LUCKYDOG said:
The third one looks like a Tobago orange Scotch bonnet -- did it mention what types of Scotch Bonnets they were supposed to be ? mine are more squashed looking like the second picture
Nope it just said mixture of red and yellow scotch bonnet seeds and red and orange habaneros. I did try a green one last night and boy did it have a nice kick.

Well on the upside you can still make jerk seasoning with any of the peppers you have -- oh and welcome to THP -- we all are addicted this is where we hold our meeting everyday :D

LUCKYDOG said:
Well on the upside you can still make jerk seasoning with any of the peppers you have -- oh and welcome to THP -- we all are addicted this is where we hold our meeting everyday :D
Thanks. Yea I can't wait until they start to ripen and I start using them.

Then you will be totally hooked -- get your hundred posts in and you can get in on the Pass the Parcel seed trade coming soon -- you find it in the seed trading section second to the last of the forum

Back