• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Scotch bonnet pepper-choosing varieties

It's funny, I had trouble getting PDreadies to germinate this year. None took. The year before, I got a few to pop, was able to grow two plants to decent size, and only for maybe a half dozen pods from one plant. They were really tasty pods, but the plants didn't do much for me. The rest of the SBs I grew both this year and last, they all kicked ass.

I got more Dreadies from a different source though. I see that a lot of other folks are growing then and getting killer results, so it's worth another shot.

I'm also growing the TFMs and Foodaramas again; definite favorites. I MIGHT grow MOAs again, but probably not due to space concerns. I'm trying some new ones this year (Boatman) and I've brought back the Dreadies and Schneider Farm jawns, both of which of brown in 2018 but not 2019.

I'm also growing various red, chocolate, and orange Bonnets as well, but I really don't even consider those to be the real deal. Great peppers, but Yella Bonnets are the genuine article, IMO.

I only got a handful of pods off of my p.dreadie too. And it was towards the end of the season so I don't even think I had a chance to try one. This year I'm gonna start 10 seeds of each variety instead of 3, and cut back on types. I didnt get to sample as many pods as I would have liked to.

I'm probably just gonna grow the tfm this year, pretty sure I got seeds from you rob. I gave a friend a bunch of my bonnet types to grow. I'm sure he still has some.

Thanks for the recommendation, and I have updated my inventory. Sorry, I didn't realize the store was showing that I was sold out.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
MOA Red from Midwestchileheads is quite good too. It looks like he is out of stock though. I thought they were quite hot for a bonnets and production was fantastic. Tolerated our hot summers extremely well compared to the MOA yellow from CCN.

Flavor wise i liked the Pappa Dreadie the best and its production was also excellent.

Back