• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Scotch Bonnet Question?

I have some scotch bonnet plants in 3 gallon pots out in the back yard which get about 4-6 hours of direct sun. The average day time temps this time of year are high 80's to mid 90's F. Is this too much intense sun light and heat or do these plants really like the direct sun and heat. I have also tried growing them under the porch and shade with only about 1 hour of direct sun a day but I cant tell which works better. Anyone have any advice on the matter?

Thanks!

as a general rule, peppers need no less than 6 hours a day of direct sunlight...I am growing my Scotch Bonnets in full sun and they are getting ready to push out a bunch of pods...

my hot july/august simply halts production until the temps drop back in the mid/low 90s mid/high 80s...

with your temperatures, I should think they could stand full sun....

how much rain a year do you get?

This is an interesting question AJ. My weather is a lot like yours at times. Temps that are listed as 90 are for air temp in the shade, while in direct sunlight it's a great deal hotter.

Does the increased direct sunlight temp have any bearing on the Rule?

Thx

Well im not sure of the exact ammount we get a year, but between the months of May and October are the most rainy and we get quite a bit from thunderstorms, tropical disturbances and such. But during the past few weeks we have had alot, probably at least 6 inces this week. I tend to leave my pants out in as much rain as i can because our tap water is very high in salt.

Scotch Bonnets are native to the islands down your way and seem to thrive.

Most chinenses thrive in tropical/semi tropical climates.

Also I have my plants in 3 galon containers using miracle gro organic potting mix. I also feed them with miracle grow and organic bone meal every 1-2 weeks. If Im doing something wrong or could improve please let me know.

ScotchBonnets.jpg

Thanks!

Miracle grow potting soil is high in nitrogen and not a good product in my opinion. I prefer to add my own nutrients to a sterilized soil-less mixture.
By the way, miracle grow soil and nutrients aren't really organic, at least not by my definition

Back