• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Scotch Bonnets not germinating

New guy with a weird question :)

I planted five different peppers in my window sills on april 19, and they've all started germinating except the orange Scotch Bonnets i planted.

I know the window sill is not ideal for these kinds of peppers but I've had some success before and wanted to try again. Last time they all germinated too except the Scotch Bonnets and this is a new batch of seeds (I don't remember the cultivars I used last, but it was a couple of different ones).

I thought it might've been the lack of warmth, but the all the other varieties should require the same conditions unless I'm mistaken? The ones that have already germinated are Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate Bhutlah, Fatalii and Carolina Reapers. I've planted them directly in soil and keep the soil moist but not wet, and I keep the apartment fairly warm.

Does anyone have an idea why only the Scotch Bonnets won't germinate?

I would give them a little more time before I would start worrying.

And exactly how warm is "fairly warm" for you? And is it warmer on the window sill from the sunlight? Or is it cooler there?

And I think sometimes you get lucky, and the seeds germinate without too much consistent heat...but you might as well do your best to keep the soil warm and give them the ideal conditions that they need to germinate.

Thank you guys, I will definitely give them a couple of weeks more before giving up.

I just found it weird that the Scotch Bonnets were the ones to not germinate yet again (or at least germinate later), wondering whether they required a different environment than the rest.

My apartment is probably around 25°C/75°F. I keep them about 15-20cm from the window, probably a bit cooler there than the rest of the apartment but they get a fair amount of warmth when the sun is out.

Sanguinator said:
Thank you guys, I will definitely give them a couple of weeks more before giving up.

I just found it weird that the Scotch Bonnets were the ones to not germinate yet again (or at least germinate later), wondering whether they required a different environment than the rest.

My apartment is probably around 25°C/75°F. I keep them about 15-20cm from the window, probably a bit cooler there than the rest of the apartment but they get a fair amount of warmth when the sun is out.

you need higher temperature.

Just a thought but it might also be that the orange Scotch Bonnets are ones that would have turned red when fully ripe and the orange stage was not the final ripened stage, thus the germination % of seeds may be lower than from a fully ripened pod.

But I'd agree the temp needs to be higher and consistent -perhaps try placing the germination tray on top of your fridge as it tends to stay at a higher temp. (or the hot water heater closet if it is easy to access.

+1 to JDFan .... some varieties of SB can take a while to germinate but as others have stated you need constant heat ... to germinate they don't need light so the airing cupboard is a good place. Once you see a loop then you can place in the light

Back