• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

scovilles Scoville ratings

In NYC it's a jalapeno. "This stuff's made in New York City. New York City?" :cheers:

Tina Brooks said:
chipotle just means smoked peppers.

I thought I was reading an old thread again.

T

See, see! I'm not crazy...well...ok, scratch that. I am crazy, but I wasn't imagining the chipotle thing!

Chipotle is just a specialized, low-temp, low tech method of smoking chiles.

I've seen aji chipotle, de arbol chipotle, xalapa chipotle, habanero chipotle, serrano chipotle and etc......it may depend upon what is grown locally.

Most chipotle I've purchased in the US is xalapa. I live in rural NY.

As to wether or not the ratings are "erroneous" it does not matter the point was they serve as a basic guide with which to compare peppers. For example a friend asked me is a serrano hotter than a Chinese 5 color. well according to chileman there are both hot. do you see my problem.
and also where I am at in SoCal Chipotle means smoked peppers usally jalapenos but can be anything. I.E. "covered in a mild chipotle sauce "

Definition of Chipotle

Okay - not to sound anal but here it goes (about Chipotle):

Typically the 'hot' chiles are not necessarily from Mexico (they tend to use more mild but flavorful spices) but rather a hybrid of various chiles. Not to discount chiles from other areas of the world - Thai for example, but in checking with one of my best friends (seventh generation from Mexico) Chipotle, in it's true definition, is a smoked Jalapeno (alt-164 does not work here)but the three generations of his family who have tried my chipotle have said that the other chiles would put a Jalepeno to shame.

Being a native New Mexican (54 years) I am now smoking every kind of chile I grow but Jalapenos (too acidic). Granted, the chiles I use are a form of 'bastardized' chipotle but the flavor is to die for. I just finished turning Ancho (Poblano) chiles into chipotle as well as seven other varieties. Anyone who wants to try some email me - first come first served!

I guess my feeling is that to those purists - do what ever you want. To us that really enjoy a good chipotle (with whatever chile we decide) allow us to have our enjoyment. In the end we all will be able to discuss the finer points of chipotle when we amass ourselves at the same table.

Okay - enough. Back to my normal state and if I have the honor of sharing my chipotle with any of you the thought may cross our minds (hopefully) that we are normal.

NMTROUT

Back