Scoville testing

I have several products that I really would like an accurate scoville rating done on. Does anyone have any resources that I can contact to get such testing done?

From what I understand scoville testing is often inconsistent, faulty, or instruments aren't calibrated properly, and I believe its also expensive. If I were to send something in for testing, I'd do like CaJohn and get several identical samples tested but tell the testers they are different, and see if the results all come back the same. They came back quite different for CaJohn:(

POTAWIE said:
From what I understand scoville testing is often inconsistent, faulty, or instruments aren't calibrated properly, and I believe its also expensive. If I were to send something in for testing, I'd do like CaJohn and get several identical samples tested but tell the testers they are different, and see if the results all come back the same. They came back quite different for CaJohn:(

great tip..thanx potawie

POTAWIE said:

You ain't kiddin about the expensive part. I contacted a few labs across the country to do HPLC testing on a few sauces (not my own, obviously) I was curious about, and I would have had to spend a bulk of a paycheck to have it done. Yipes!:shocked:

I'm not a true believer in Scoville ratings honestly. We had our ZERO tested, and it came back at roughly 30,000 SHU, less than a Cayenne pepper. Considering the fact there are about 10 pounds of Orange Habanero in each 1/4 ounce, I think there measurements were a little off. I think they left off a couple zeros.

Honestly my daughter has made her chile head father proud and is doing a 9th grade science fair project on the extraction of oleoresin and how different solvents such as ethanol,everclear,vodka and different pepper types will produce different yields and heat levels. So it is imperitive I get an accurate count of its heat index. Is there another means of testing?

Talljess said:
Honestly my daughter has made her chile head father proud and is doing a 9th grade science fair project on the extraction of oleoresin and how different solvents such as ethanol,everclear,vodka and different pepper types will produce different yields and heat levels. So it is imperitive I get an accurate count of its heat index. Is there another means of testing?

Thats really awesome and I will look around to see if I can find any more information.

Talljess said:

How much are you looking to spend? It is expensive. It is done using a chromatograph, and there really isn't any other way. It's not a quick turnaround getting it done either. Perhaps a little research into this on your end is in order, as there are a lot of companies that don't have their stuff chromatographed specifically due to the expense and time needed to test it. Like I said before, we had one product done, and the readings were completely off.

Talljess said:
maybe ill just have some guys at work try it and video tape results...that seems more accurate :lol:

Your spot on with that way of thinking! Also remember that different chillis affect different people in different ways. Like the way a naga can make a persons mouth on fire but make my face on fire.

I think testing chillis as Defcon was kinda saying is a waste of time and money, if people like your product/chillis they will buy them regardless of how hot a piece of paper says they are, also remember that the same variety of chilli from the same can have different yields of heat (capcaicin).

Talljess said:

Lie? ;)

Just guess and print out the corresponding documents.

....got me through college!:lol:

Chemist here: I would think it would have to be done using HPLC. The best bet would be to contact the local colleges or Universities and ask if they have an HPLC (most do) and ask them what you want (it would make a great undergrad research project). The problem exists on finding standards, (I will look into this). If you know a hot sauce is 30,000 scoville units you can make a dilution ofstraight sauce, 1/2 and 1/5th and zero to get a curve, however if the value you get on the sauce being tested is way beyond the curve, the results will be inaccurate.

I just found an issue with the testing

http://www.victoriastation.com/scoville_units.htm

there is more than one capsaicin present, and pure capsaicin (the ingredient in peppers costs hundreds of dollars for a gram) (You should have the pure stuff to make standards.

I just did some checking, J Chem ed has some articles on it, but I cannot log on to see the articles. There was a study done at weaver labs at NCSU.

If I was a 9th grader entrusted with vodka and everclear, I think my speech might be a little slurred after the test. :lol::lol:

jacob
Talljess said:

many chillies' heat vary due to various factors...growing mediums/methods, temperature, location, etc. etc, so to spend a load of moolah trying to determine SHU is money down the drain IMHO.enjoy the heat & the flavour for what it is, that's my opinion.

cherrybomb said:
many chillies' heat vary due to various factors...growing mediums/methods, temperature, location, etc. etc, so to spend a load of moolah trying to determine SHU is money down the drain IMHO.enjoy the heat & the flavour for what it is, that's my opinion.

Well said and actually, why not do it the old fashion way. get a few bottles of hot sauce with scoville ratings and just taste and interpolate a number. No one will be able to tell if a sauce whic is labelled 200,000 units is 180,000 or 220,000.

Here you go: 75 bucks

http://www.sas-labs.com/services/fees1.htm#Scoville

Back