Screw city life: Lanscape with peppers

Months ago I posted some links to stories about folk who got busted for growing a front yard garden.  If I recall, I mentioned i was going to dig up the area next to my road and plant a garden in protest.  Months later, that garden is doing surprisingly well for a bed I just raised this year.  The thing is still mostly clay.  The project is not done yet.  Eventually it will stretch the length of our road front. 

Additionally, there are red ghost peppers.  I asked folk about upward growing peppers, the kind that tend to stand out from the green foliage.  Next year, I am going to grow as many different colors of those type of peppers and alternate so the road front is bordered with lots of color.

Abandon the cities!  Live free of dumb laws.  Let your garden be free.  Power to the peppers.  All that revolutionary rot.  Ye man.

red_ghost_pepper_01.jpg

SavinaRed said:
My backyard is landscaped with 95% edible fruit trees, peppers, vegetables and berries. My wife landscaped the front yard with Salvia. I hear its quite the hallucinogenic plant. Its a nice looking plants when it blooms. You can forget about green grass in Cali now.
This is pretty close to what we went for. We went with a potager garden. Basically what you have including the salvia, but with roses and bulbs for colour throughout the year, a big shade tree and some ferns in the dark corners. We did things like plant a lavender border with thyme growing in front of that. Culinary herbs make great borders and flowers help bring in the bees to pollinate all your fruit trees etc.

Great row of chillies AJ

Thank you all for the compliments.  This has been a very tough year with surgery after surgery and hospital stay after hospital stay.  Getting things in and keeping them weeded has been a challenge.  So the compliments make me feel like it was worth it. 

SavinaRed - We have four apple trees in the back, but they are tiny.  Out front on the farm half of the roadside, I wanted to put in a fence.  I found out if you want to improve the property with a fence line, you have to get a permit.  It is how they keep track of property value and how they raise your taxes.  Put in a fence, pay more taxes.  Ah, but improvements for agricultural purposes do not need a permit.  So instead of putting in a fence, we put in a grape and blackberry arbor.  It looks like a fence but it holds up plants so it is an arbor.  A very long arbor that happens to be where I wanted a fence.  I hate rules.  My property I will do with it what I like.

My front flower bed is full of pepper plants, with a couple flowers in between and a tomato plant on the end. So far no complaints from anyone, but it doesn't look crazy invasive or anything. The backyard is full of fruit trees, fruits and veggies!

jacqui276, its not all cities here in the US but more and more there are stories in the news about people loosing their gardens to city zoning rules. It is really odd,like there is a war on gardening or something.

Back