• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

SE Florida Bhuts, Reds and Aji Limon

Hello to the forum !!

I'm in south Florida where we have been experiencing an unusually cold (long) winter. I have been growing peppers for about 12 years with average success and thought I would share this year's plan..

I germinated some seeds (Bhut Jolokia, Caribbean Red, Aji Limon) in mid January inside the house mostly on a heat mat in jiffy peat pellets, followed by flourescent and or HPS grow light. The seeds were purchased fro NMSU Chili Institute and the germination rate and speed were fantastic. Initially I expected to have these guys in the ground by now since my one and only Ghost plant took forever to set fruit last year and was alot of work due to extremely high temps in the Florida summer (not to mention the ever pesky whitefies and or horn worms). Mother nature has other ideas for me this year though,,,

Last year's Bhut Jolokia seeds were purchased elsewhere and did not germinate well and I only managed to nurture one to maturity and fruit...the effort was worth it since these bad boys were brutal!!! Although the fruit was terribly undersized, it still packed a punch that would knock most off of their feet.........and so the the obsessive compulsive side of my personality rears it's ugly head again.... I must grow these peppers and grow them successfully!!!!

The Bhuts and Reds appear to be doing well and have now been on the patio in the elements since 3/14/2010 experiencing lots of wind, chilly weather and some drizzly rain....Their feet are wet and chilly and they are itching to move out of their studio apartments and into a real home...

The Limons (Probably one of my favorites) are not doing as well, but I'm gonna put them in their new home soon too and they'll fix themselves as they tend to "really take off" at some point, and then produce huge yields...

Here is a link to some pics...

http://img687.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img687/6586/1271019959uwv.smil

Happy Chili growing!!!!

Bossman

Hi! I live in Port Charlotte, Florida ----from Texas and looking for some Chili Pequin Peppers Plants or seeds with instructions on how to germinate and grow.

I am retired and want to do a little gardening and recall these peppers from years ago.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

My first couple of Bhuts have just sprouted yesterday after only 2 weeks. I also got my seeds from the chili institute and also got ahi lemon and cajamirica's. I was really surprised to see 2 Bhut sprouts after only 2 weeks. I was planning for them to take at least 4-6 weeks, but as you have mentioned the strain is probably good and strong. I had 3 Bhut plants last and only 1 of them made it to fruit and like your they where very small, but packed a punch so i'm looking forward to some serious heat this year with 12 seeds going. Please keep the info posted as your plants are about a month ahead of mine and since we got the seeds from the same source i'm curious to see how to the temps will affect their growth. What type of soil are you using?

bossman9 said:
Hello to the forum !!
I'm in south Florida where we have been experiencing an unusually cold (long) winter.

Welcome Bossman!,
I know what your going through I live in Florida also , and this winter has screwed me up, I should have had everything in the ground by now but have been nervous with all these cold snaps, hope were in the clear now :)

welcome Bossman and Darrel...good luck in the coming grow season...seems there is another member from Pine Island here....don't remember who, just remember someone talking about Pine Island...I lived on Marco Island (goodland) for 5 years in the early 80s...

Thanks for all the Weclomes...

I'm in Delray Beach, Florida........

If I have even a fraction of the success that Alabama Jack has I will be thrilled !!!

I'll keep you guys posted....

Bossman

bossman9 said:
If I have even a fraction of the success that Alabama Jack has I will be thrilled !!!

I learned most of what I know about growing peppers from this forum so you are in good hands....again, welcome...

AlabamaJack said:
welcome Bossman and Darrel...good luck in the coming grow season...seems there is another member from Pine Island here....don't remember who, just remember someone talking about Pine Island...I lived on Marco Island (goodland) for 5 years in the early 80s...

i lived on pine island for some years.

Close up of Red Carribean leaves...

URL=http://img179.imageshack.us/i/p3240013.jpg/]
p3240013.jpg
[/URL]

I guess I need to rename tese photos befor I upload 'em

Nice new growth on the stems of Red Carribeans....

URL=http://img176.imageshack.us/i/p3240019.jpg/]
p3240019.jpg
[/URL]

Below is this year's Bhut in a huge pot with a photo of stem growth (maybe photo of neighbor's stem gowth ...lost track) ....

bhutbigpot1.jpg

bhutstem1.jpg

And here is a photo of the only Bhut (maybe or maybe not....from Pepper Joe's) that I grew from seed to pod last year....this plant was the only survivor of what I attempted to germinate/grow....I didn't get it in the ground until mid May and battled heat, humidity and MAD Whiteflies. It produce tons of flowers that dropped EVERY night in the dead heat of the Florida summer...It finally set fruit in the late fall and winter. I think that if I had known to manually polinate, things would have gone better. In the end it did produce lots of extremely hot yet undersized pods...They did not exhibit the bumpy look however.... I have lots of seeds saved and started from this plant, but they may be crossed now since they were rubbin' elbows with their neighbors....

09bhutsurvivor.jpg

Last but not least an Aji Limon that was either watered too much or just looking for some ferts...

ajilimonnothappy.jpg

Thanks Bossman

Back