• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Seacowboy 2013

Got my seeds started back in early February. Next year I will begin in December as many of my pepper plants stalled out after getting to be @ 5-6". Other veges did great under the lights and have transplanted well into the garden. This is my first season with a garden in the backyard, been using about an acre at my hunting camp but that's hard to manage being 120 miles away, but have been very succesful there. Tilled the yard up to about 50' x 20' and added 4x4x10's on the corners to set the fence up and 2 more for a gate. The deer in my neighborhood pass through daily in a group of 8-12. I put down a weed cloth over majority of it then added 3-6" of mulch to keep the moisture in since I'm away for wks at a time with work and the other half isn't into doing anything In the garden besides hitting the switch to run the sprinkler off the well, guess I have to give her a little slack since she is 7 month pregnant.

Anyhow I lost over 100 plants when I got called back to work to fill in for an injured crewman, had left about half of what I had outside to finish hardening off then go in the ground when I got back 4 days later. I looked at the temps and it was gonna be fine but missed the rain in the forecast. Rained 3 out if the 4 days I was gone and drowned just over 100 of 120 plants I had outside. Was a mix of mainly peppers with a pile of tomatoes and other stuff in there too, fortunately I still had another 100 or so left inside and was able to nearly fill the garden with what I had and only have to buy a few plants.

So they've been in the ground for 3 wks and things arelooking good. The tomatoes have a little infestation of aphids but my sister has been coming over to spray them with oil/water till I can get back and see if anything else needs to be done. Thinking of possibly introducing some extra ladybugs to fight them off, by I will need to add more flowery type crap before then so they stick around.

Will try to add some pics in and make a list of what's growing. Will update as I go.
IMG_2173_zpse83c4411.jpg

IMG_2178_zps0d48b075.jpg

25D71309-52B7-4CDD-B94E-B223A51A5852-4666-000003E854A565E7_zps75f05953.jpg

Here's day 1 in the ground 5/4/13. Planted 3 rows of sweet corn in the back, their 6-10" now and anout 30 onions. Front left side 8'x8' has rows of turnips, beers and parsnips. Front right side 8'x8' has mixed greens.

A7B0E20B-DEFA-44B1-A472-D2DA4845ED40-4666-000003E866C573A1_zps31c726c9.jpg

This picture was from Thursday 5/23/13. Good bit of growth so far. Will start hitting it with compost tea in 10 days or so and hope things really take off from there.

DE4F70F0-D8DC-41CF-8074-2AFA6F7D5637-10510-00000FC231AB9AAD_zps0f8c1ea6.jpg

List of peppers included so far is: Lemon Drop, 5 Color Mustard Habanero, Serranos, Thai Chilis, Tam Japs, Anaheim, Pepperocini, Plain Japs, Golden Marconi, Tabasco, Scoth Bonnet, Tequila and a few different Sweet Bells.

I have 4 Bhut's growing, but very slow still in pots. I plan on transplanting them to 5 gal pots and keeping them for a few yrs if possible, may put 1 in the ground next yr. Have Datil pepper seeds waiting at the house which I'll start and do the same with. Datil's are my favorite, my dog got out of his kennel months ago and ate a ton of my seed stash and all were deposited in the yard over the winter...

Seacowboy said:
Got a good surprise when I got back early from work Saturday, many of the plants in garden have decided they didn't mind the super low ph and took off compared what they were doing before but still have quite aways to go and amending the soil in the off season will hopefully turn things around for next year. Inside my plants are doing great under the lights.  Did lose 3 seedlings in one of the hydro set ups since the water level dropped below the wick while I was gone to work. Oh well.  I got to pick up some extra plants (Giant Bhut, Dorset Naga, Fatalii) that bigt (Tony) had and made a little deck to them to hang out on to get them up off the ground and give me a little better area to work with for installing a drip system.

Yellow Devils Tongue x 2, Fatalii, Red Moruga Scorp, Naga Morich, Datil
tTQjv4Lh.jpg

3 survivors. Peach Bhut, Naga Viper, Atomic Starfish.
WBQVY0nh.jpg

Before
sB6nxeZh.jpg

U3aB2e8h.jpg

After
IVzkTAeh.jpg

JY6e7rLh.jpg
Got a good surprise when I got back early from work Saturday, many of the plants in garden have decided they didn't mind the super low ph and took off compared what they were doing before but still have quite aways to go and amending the soil in the off season will hopefully turn things around for next year. Inside my plants are doing great under the lights.  Did lose 3 seedlings in one of the hydro set ups since the water level dropped below the wick while I was gone to work. Oh well.  I got to pick up some extra plants (Giant Bhut, Dorset Naga, Fatalii) that ('bigt' Tony) and made a little deck to them to hang out on to get them up off the ground and give me a little better area to work with for installing a drip system.

Yellow Devils Tongue x 2, Fatalii, Red Moruga Scorp, Naga Morich, Datil
tTQjv4Lh.jpg

3 survivors. Peach Bhut, Naga Viper, Atomic Starfish.
WBQVY0nh.jpg

Before
sB6nxeZh.jpg

U3aB2e8h.jpg

After
http://i.imgur.com/IVzkTAeh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/JY6e7rLh.jpg

Looking good Jason - nice set up.  I'll be watching the air pot vs root pouch growth comparo.  In two weeks those plants will look a lot bigger.

Has been a crazy week to say the least as some of you saw my post about a 'Rough Week'.  For those that didn't my first baby boy Chase was born on Friday afternoon, however there were several complications he experienced that weren't caught right away, as well as some with my wife.  Long story short he was taken to Children's Hospital and has been doing great there and making progress everyday and if he doesn't have any further apnea episodes he should be coming home early next week, my wife is on the mend as well and after a transfusion on Thursday is getting back at some normalcy if you can call it that.

As for the garden things have taken off over the last 10 days.  Several sunflowers have bloomed bringing in lots of butterflies and bees, with the corn all tassled up and shooting out ears here and there.  The pepper plants have also finally taken off, while well behind everyone else's on here several have started setting pods, along with numerous tomatoes growing on the vine.  The plants in containers have also taken off from getting them repotted and a few of them topped, yes its late to top but they will all be brought indoors for the winter and kept under HID's throughout.  My hydroponics inside have also been doing pretty good but i believe I may have burned them a little at the last nute change almost 2 weeks ago, the new growth has almost a white color to the leaves and a few have dropped off.  Here's how were looking right now.

TM5NEJqh.jpg

qAk2U4Zh.jpg

SlS04Qkh.jpg

Hydro's
JLFDBQOh.jpg

5wsj7TKh.jpg

Containers of Giant Bhuts, Dorset Nagas, Hab, Caribbean Hot, and a lone tom.
GgMYqoKh.jpg

Tl3Pgy3h.jpg

4RpdTMhh.jpg

Couple pods
ncDEVtah.jpg

0VlwaaGh.jpg

Just got a new Galaxy S4 and the camera is supposed to be great so I'll play around with that when I have a chance with some more pics of the plants in the garden with pods showing up.  Hope everyone has a great weekend.  Oh and I'd like to thank Devv for some Funky Reaper seeds, Sicman for a pile of pods and some powder and MGOLD86 for seeds as well and the support, prayer and thoughts for my family.

Glad both Mom and son are doing well, my son spent a few days in the hospital after he was born. Scarey stuff!

Looking good man, just went back to the beginning and it looks like you have definitely put the work in bro!  My grow last year was also durning my wife's pregnancy...so I know that "look"....I can still hear the "you're going to work in the garden.....again..."lol. 

But ill get them seeds out to you Monday, the powder will be ready tomorrow. 

Great pictures Jason - I'm hoping Chase continues to improve and maybe even he's home by now.  Your plants in the aero pots could not be any more green - very nice.  I'll bet they're taking off even further with this rain we've had.

Tony

Thank you guys.  Matt the powder you sent is already nearly gone, that good.  Your smoked TS is a bit more smokey than mine and I'm loving it.  Tony as you can see from the pics below the plants I got from you have exploded with growth, each has easily doubled or more over the last 4 wks with a bunch of buds formed and new growth everywhere.  Again the garden continues to improve with quite a few plants kicking it into high gear with the growth over the last few wks, think the cooler (mid 80's) the last couple wks has done them real good as opposed to the high 90's from the wks before.  My hydro plants are doing well, all remaining very squat and getting wider with new branches shooting out from down low, the 1 Atomic Starfish is the only exception reaching up and now branching out down low.  Threw 3 new plants in where the others had died of drought and their doing well, Tepin, Douglah and Yellow 7 Pot.  My 1 Datil in there is growing leaves that are all curling on the edges and remaining very narrow, can see in pic. Has been doing this since I put it in there and seems weird since the other 5 plants in the same tub are all doing great.  Any ideas on that would be appreciated.  

Was going to start some sauce fermenting today but a trip to doc for a physical turned into a 4.5 hr ordeal with only 1 doc in house, normally they have at least 3.  So that will get started tomorrow now.  Starting to get a few pods off the Tabasco plants and what was labeled Mexican Bells seem to be Anaheim's, along with a few Green Bells almost ready to pick and half dozen or so Japs I'm waiting to let turn red. Toms are also popping out with several that will be ripe by the weekend.  Did pick 6 ears of corn yesterday that will get thrown on the grill tomorrow with a few steaks and some roast Golden Beets from there as well.

Porch plants. A few aren't liking the afternoon heat and have been wilting in the afternoon then perking right back up as the sun goes down so no biggy there.
fLJHBEhh.jpg

Clockwise: Atomic Starfish, Naga Viper, Peach Bhut, Yellow 7 Pod, Douglah, Tepin
lFJ4vRsh.jpg

Clockwise: Yellow Devils Tongue, Red Moruga Scorpion, Datil, Naga Morich, Fatalii, Yellow Devils Tongue. Can see the leaves on the Datil in the front right corner.
AW7uES3h.jpg

Garden starting to come alive finally.
1ynssPYh.jpg

awupBPsh.jpg

Glad to see they're kicking in!

Boy this summer is flying by!

And I hate doctors offices, appointments THEY don't keep...

Good luck the rest of this season!

Had the wife take a few pics but they didn't come out so good on her phone but still work. Unfortuanley a little issue following the watering schedule and some of the plants are hurting bad as you can see from the pics, don't think their in trouble but will have her keep up with it better, least I hope. Can see my first ripe super pod glowing red, its a Dorset Naga, she decided to pick it so I doubt it will last till I get home this weekend so the bro in law will get to enjoy it. The indoor hydro plants have again erupted with growth from just 2 weeks ago, will definetly have to get them into their own 5 gal buckets when I get home.

I was going to post pics but my tool bar has vanished here, once I get that worked out I'll get them up.

Looking rough but she said they had perked up this morning after a good 15 run of the drip. Can see the alomost glowing Naga Dorset.
P4h6IEKh.jpg

The little guys in the 6" pots are looking much better than their neighbors and I'll have to decide which ones I will be potting up and OW'ing for next year.
7juZMcEh.jpg

Sorry the HID pychedelic effect on these. All have really taken off, the Datil in front right of first pic and the Atomic Starfish in back right of second pic have some leaf curl going on which I'll try and figure out when I get back.  The Datil has had it the entire time since it set its first true set of leaves, it has gotten the exact same treatment and nutes since soaking them prior to germination as the others and has had leaf curl and wavy leaves the whole time while the others are looking great. 
vBJbDc6h.jpg

ihB51Ilh.jpg

Will get some better pics when I get home this weekend. Thanks for checking in.

Things are growing really well but I'm worried it maybe too late to get them to ripen before it cools off too much.  Will be bringing most of the containers inside and potting up several that have already outgrown their 6" pots.  Plants in the garden are doing great, having to keep the towering toms from falling over on the pepper plants.  Next year will have way less toms and a lot more peppers with a better layout.
sG10O3Ph.jpg

Giant Bhuts
HUNqRm1h.jpg

Naga Dorset
yo9Efvzh.jpg

Buds aplenty
ZWssaNlh.jpg

Thanks Spice.  

Had a little pick of some nons along with a handful of maters and decided to make a pot of seafood gumbo with it.  All the ingredients except the garlic and seafood came out of the garden, ended up not needing the Rotel since I had enough maters to make it right.  Added half a chopped Dorset and a little smoked TS powder to mine as to not ruin it for the lady, heated it up quite a bit for me.

jZMeZDk.jpg

The shrimp were giants think I got 7 or 8 at just over a pound.
X8C4Frs.jpg

Getting happy happy happy with some low heat for an hour.
5Aamw7L.jpg

Dinner is served over a bed of brown rice.
TIqe5Ev.jpg

Wow Jason plants are coming along nicely. I think if you build a hoop house that should ass another 30 days to your grow. Just enough to get more ripe pods. Nice little harvest and that seafood dinner looks superb. Are you sure those aren't baby lobsters  ;)  Ginourmous schrkimps dey iz. 

romy6 said:
 Wow Jason plants are coming along nicely. I think if you build a hoop house that should ass another 30 days to your grow. Just enough to get more ripe pods. Nice little harvest and that seafood dinner looks superb. Are you sure those aren't baby lobsters  ;)  Ginourmous schrkimps dey iz. 
I'd love to build a hoop house and have looked into plans to do so, need to just price everything out and see if its gonna be possible.  Since the containers will be coming inside under lights they should be ok to finish up under the HPS light. 

The shrimp were monsters, and so good.  Much rather have a few big ones to peel than a few dozen mini's.  Wish I was still down in FL and able to get the Spiny Lobsters though, rarely find them up here and to me they blow the Maine's out of the water.  

Still waiting on lots of pods to ripen.  The temps have dropped big time at night getting down into the mid 40's last night, day time temps are still up and it will probably warm up again before the cool Fall weather sets in for good.  All the plants are doing great with tons of pods hanging and just waiting to ripen with more popping up everyday.  The in ground plants are doing great but are now showing a bit of nute deficency that will hopefully be remedied once this 2nd batch of compost tea is done later today, went through 5 gals just on the container plants.  My tomato plants have exploded and are spilling out from the florida weave and the few wire baskets I put out and even pull those out of the ground, they have some massive green maters on them that will hopefully ripen up this week before I roll out back to work.  

Was ready to finish my undercurrent dwc set up but the dog got out of his crate again yesterday and chewed up the float ball to the topping off thing along with one of the barb fittings for the hose to be connected to.  Will hopefully get replacements for that at the local plumbing supply house tomorrow when they open up. Those plants will be happy they get a little more room to grow once transplanted.  I picked up the rest of the things for that on Friday with a 1000w ballast, Hortilux HPS bulb, new Hanna combo meter for ph/EC and something else so I can have a better idea what I am working with than just winging it.  Think all 11 plants are putting out flowers but haven't found one to set yet so I need to get the cause of that narrowed down.  Did find some sort of eggs on the underside of few leaves and will be applying the 2nd round of Neem and Pymethrin this evening.  Getting rid of them, making the ph right and knowing the EC is where it should be should get the pods to set shortly.  

So a few pics of the containers with pods and the garden doing well and just waiting everything to change colors.

Several of the plants I have left in their 6" homes have pods growing including 2 Tepins, a Black Jap, Scotch Bonnet and maybe an Anaheim but not sure as the label has gone missing.  
9t0yHqhh.jpg

Lots of Dorsets, Giant Bhuts and a handful Fataliis hanging.
iSEyHtmh.jpg

03RQVUnh.jpg

Can see how the maters are taking over, trying to keep them  and leave some paths to walk along while parting the thick growth looking for them turning ripe.  The peppers mixed in have taken off.
DEov1RKh.jpg

gwEcgb9h.jpg

qHp24FWh.jpg

Back