Seasol and powerfeed

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if anyone has ever used a combo of seasol seaweed extract and seasol powerfeed for fertilising chilli plants.

Very new to the hot chilli game and this year is my first year of buying some plants that are in my garden, they're all looking very healthy apart from a 7 pot Jonah which I think I've overwatered but what is the general concensus on seasol and powerfeed?

If not then is there a "best" fertiliser for them?

Never used power feed so can't comment. But use seasol as a foliar health and flowering tonic every two weeks with Epsom salts ... I think it adds some good health benefits and boosts cloraphyll production ... But its not a complete fert by itself

Thanks Trippa, that's good to hear that seasol is ok, the powerfeed is also made by seasol and it markets itself almost as the other half I.e the seasol providing root health and disease resistance benefits and the powerfeed adding the nutrients.

On the bottle the makeup Is nitrogen 10% phosphorous 1.2% potassium 5.8% and then It says N : P 8.6:1

What type of medium are you growing in?? That will dictate what you need. I think most of us are guilty of over loving (read over fertilising/watering/worrying) our Chilli's . if you want to see why if you have good organic soil we often don't need many of these additives .. Take a look at PepperGurus glog for 2013 and 2012 ...

I've spoken to a few people - hydroponic stores, Bunnings and Masters staff, etc. and a few market gardeners and everyone told me different things, so its hard to say if the Powerfeed is any good.
I think chilli plants generally like a balanced fertiliser and the Powerfeed  is a little heavy of the Nitrogen.  

I started out using the Seasol and Powerfeed combo during the early part of my rookie year (September 2013 until November 2013).  It did not end well, but I probably over fertilised... However, before I overdid the Powerfeed, I saw some decent growth using it, but very few flowers - the excessive Nitrogen was great for pumping out leaves initially but the plants did not bloom very well.  I think it also eventually contributed to a nutrient lock-out.

My rookie opinion is the Powerfeed is a little crude and probably not balanced enough for chillies.  More experienced growers can probably use it no problems by tweaking other additives, etc. but if you are like me, its easier to get a more balanced fertiliser. I'm currently using Chilli Focus liquid fertiliser.  I'm seeing less fertiliser burn and a more flowers, but I'm probably still fighting off the effects of the nutrient lock-out, so the plants are not great either.  

I think a better option is to start off with a nutrient rich soil from good quality manure and compost - rather than trying to improve a pottiing mix or poor garden soil by adding fertilisers.  I'll be trying that approach next season. 

FYI - there is a decent thread on this forum of West Australian growers and a couple of the guys are real pros when it comes to the harvests they get, so their advice is very useful for local conditions and suppliers of the products you may need / want advice on.

Edit: Ditto what Trippa just said too regarding check out the glogs... so much info to mine there

Back