• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

SEASON TWO!

Well after a very up and down first time growing last year i have recharged and having another crack! Im having a go at using pellets with some of the seeds and so far i have one bhut jolokia up and the awsome thing about this is i used seeds from the first plant i grew last year! i planted the seeds 5 days ago and placed 5 pellets in a pot with glad rap over the top and one is up. We had some rain over night and the humidity went up a fair bit so i dont know if this trigged it but their was nothing their a day ago. I have some bishop crown,jalapeno,cayenne long in pellets but no glad rap over the top and looking tonight a cayenne long (shop packet) is coming through. I have just finished planting the following using pellets and the glad rap method.
JALAPENO
WHITE HAB
PEACH HAB
FATALLII
PERUVIAN ORANGE LONG
NAGA MORICH
JALORO

I will plant another 2 lots of each above using pots and potting mix in the morning. I find the pellets need more watering then using potting mix . Im not sure how the glad rap trick is going to work but with a bhut up in 5 days i say thats not bad going. Just for your info i place the pellets in a pot and put glad rap over the top like a mini green house. It is cold in the top end of australia at the moment 16-17 at night and 25-29 during the day...deg C.....LOL. We had some rain and the humidity shot through the roof so the green house effect did well.

The first Bhuts I planted this season shot up pretty quick too - probably 5 or 6 days after sowing. Eager little things! But the best is, I had Giant Jalapenos pop up after only 4 days. Always awesome when seeds do their thang quicker than expected!

The first Bhuts I planted this season shot up pretty quick too - probably 5 or 6 days after sowing. Eager little things! But the best is, I had Giant Jalapenos pop up after only 4 days. Always awesome when seeds do their thang quicker than expected!
Yeah i was rapped when i saw the little fella pop up....lol. last year i had a few bhut start but die which i was not happy about.

Hi Chillisteve
I also used pellets this year to start my seeds and I was totally satisfied with the result. In years past I have purchased young plants from a greenhouse, but this year I started from seed back when the overnight temps were still around freezing.
I bought a germination tray of 25 small peat pots with pellets and after planting three seeds per pot, I covered it loosely with a plastic wrap.
Since it was still too cold outside, I kept the tray of peat pots on top of my clothes dryer where it was warmed up every time I dried some laundry.
I don't know if it was the seeds, the pellets or my technique, but I had 100% seed germination, and have had a great growing season this year.
Our season is quickly coming to an end where I live, and as I strip all my plants of harvest and cut down the plants for composting, I almost feel like I'm saying farewell to 25 close friends.

Good luck with your plants this year.

Well a good day today! 2 more Bhut have popped up , these were not in pellets. A bishop crown has come up (in pellets) and the cayenne long red , 2 off these have popped up in pellets!

Well a good day today! 2 more Bhut have popped up , these were not in pellets. A bishop crown has come up (in pellets) and the cayenne long red , 2 off these have popped up in pellets!
I sorta envious ...Here I am finishing up for the season,and enjoying the harvest for sure.
After nursing the seedlings,transplanting and hand watering 25 containers over the past several months...I'm already looking forward to doing it again in the spring.

I put 2 to three seeds in each pellet . after last year were i was only getting 30 percent success rate but this time im getting double growth in each pellet! what is the best way to seperate and when is the best time?......all four cayenne long red pellets have popped up and all four have double takes! we have had rain during the night over the last few days and the seedlings are loving it also the few plants from last year think it is christmas lol. the humidity is doing wounders.

Back