• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Seaweed - help needed

Guys, here in Hungary, there was no seaweed emulsion available until this year, so I have absolutely no experience with them.

Now, the Wuxal brand has expanded, and with the Ascofol they have a nice seaweed liquid. However, the price of it seem a bit steep for me, as it costs 20 bucks a liter.

What are the better seaweed liquids in the States? Price-wise? Even with shipping, an overseas order can be a more sensitive choice...

TIA

I saw water soluble kelp powders on Ebay. Are they worth it? Certainly shipping is way better with 4 oz. solids than with heavy liquids...

Go to any Asian store and buy dried sea weed, ferment it , for the price of 1.00 for the sea weed 12 oz of molasses. Place the sea weed into blender fill with water make mush or as fine as you can pour into 1 Gal container look and see how much you have, add water to double the amount, add 1/2 that of molasses, cover with paper or cloth so it will breath let set in a quite area do not disturb for 7 to 10 days in the dark is ok. take mold from top strain Thur cloth save the liquid use two tablespoons to the gal of water. if it lasts you more than 4 months add 4 tbsp of molasses to feed the bacteria. Spray on the leaves and pour around plants it will fluff up the soil and help you to grow the bacteria i your soil. if you need any help or have questions please feel free to ask Alex

Go to any Asian store and buy dried sea weed, ferment it , for the price of 1.00 for the sea weed 12 oz of molasses. Place the sea weed into blender fill with water make mush or as fine as you can pour into 1 Gal container look and see how much you have, add water to double the amount, add 1/2 that of molasses, cover with paper or cloth so it will breath let set in a quite area do not disturb for 7 to 10 days in the dark is ok. take mold from top strain Thur cloth save the liquid use two tablespoons to the gal of water. if it lasts you more than 4 months add 4 tbsp of molasses to feed the bacteria. Spray on the leaves and pour around plants it will fluff up the soil and help you to grow the bacteria i your soil. if you need any help or have questions please feel free to ask Alex
Cool info yet again Alex! How much seaweed is needed for this brew?

Great info Al!

Thanks! Now the battle begins as molasses is simply not available at the retail level in Hungary... We were able to buy it when we had 4-5 sugar factories (bought directly there), but since the multis bought up the factories and closed them except for 1, it's even harder to acquire. Demand is around zero (molasses is still considered here as "war food" since the sugar shortage during WWII), but certain bio and health stores keep some Overseas stuff - 300g for 10 bucks.

However, I was able to find a source in Slovakia which sells 1kg for 10 bucks - sounds better.

Now let's see the price of seaweed...

You can also use Raw sugar if its easy er to find. as far as the sea weed it comes in flat packages I think it's4 oz dried The Package I use is called Nori unseasoned or what you can
find local .

i use alex's receipe and it works great, i just used up my last bag of dried seaweed and am going to pick some up today from a small local korean/japanese grocery store. $2.50/bag.
also, if you don't have molasses and you just ran out of sugar, you could try grating a beet into the mix;beets are a natural source of sugar.
the only thing about the dried seaweed, that surprised me the first time, was how large it rehydrates back to its original state after being soaked - man if filled my 5 gallon bucket. one bag, i am going to just soak and put it directly into my garden, another bag i am going to make tea.

........also, you may wish to look into alfalfa tea as a substitute.

Thanks for the good words Burning. Ezzer if you can get some green papayas they make great nutes also. remove the seeds and grind up real fine. skin and all.

Thanks for the good words Burning. Ezzer if you can get some green papayas they make great nutes also. remove the seeds and grind up real fine. skin and all.
Cheers Alex, they're growing all around too. Mmmm, a seaweed, banana and papapaya brew. Just to check the seeds get discarded, right? Not ground up?

Once summer gets closer, with a good wind all the alge/ hydrilla/ and asst. stuff will blow to shore, i put it around all the plants in the yard, and it works great, not sure if it's the sea weed, or all the worms that come up to eat it.

Are you using the standard Roasted Nori? Or is there an unroasted kind I am not seeing? I've been paying crazy prices for Kelp meal and would love a cheaper alternative.

yep the standard nori, when you make it your self its a hole lot cheaper and better, the Bactria is alive and ready to make your plants healthy works great,

yep the standard nori, when you make it your self its a hole lot cheaper and better, the Bactria is alive and ready to make your plants healthy works great,

Cool. That's what I have been using mixed into my Alfalfa tea, but I haven't been letting it ferment for 7-10 days. I usually let it sit for 3 days or so. I saw the package said "roasted" the other day and then worried that anything good in the Seaweed was roasted/cooked out of it.
I'll be making up a batch of your mix this week then to try out. Thanks again for the Advice on this.

i am not using roasted seaweed/kelp. the stuff i use is as fresh as the day it was dried. this batch i purchased is chung jung won seaweed. ingredient list says: brown seed weed, it was 4.99 for 150grams.

the usual stuff i buy was not available, but when i rehydrated this batch, it produced a nice full body seaweed, just as it was removed from the sea. the first batch i have planted into my soil after soaking the dried seaweed for 2 days. from last year i can't believe how soft my garden soil is, normally it is ridden with clay but this time, it was so soft i sank in it, when i stepped onto the soil. we are experiencing 18C days and i will let the first batch ferment before planting.

i have alfalfa tea brewing and jack rabbit bunnypoo, plus my seaweed tea.

Can coconut flesh be used to make a brew? I can get dried white flesh by the sack full free :)
Here's a breakdown of the minerals. Amounts per 1 cup, shredded (80g)

Minerals
Amounts Per Selected Serving%DV
Calcium11.2mg1%
Iron1.9mg11%
Magnesium25.6mg6%
Phosphorus90.4mg9%
Potassium285mg8%
Sodium16.0mg1%
Zinc0.9mg6%
Copper0.3mg17%
Manganese1.2mg60%
Selenium8.1mcg12%