• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Seaweeds fert - DIY

I was down at the beach for a wind surf session, and i decided to get two bags of seaweeds i found (about 1kg).

I was reading that you can siply put them in a bucket of water and just leave them for a few days until they rot. Then i can use the water for watering or spraying my plants.

Is that true? Is there any other way to use these fresh and dried seaweeds?

A few days o_O ... I've never heard of a seaweed batch being made in a few days, if you want a good one google up directions and read several before you start. My first batch took over 30 days and the stuff is fantastic. I did rinse the first batch but subsiquently have read numerous other instructions and my current batch is not rinsed. I figure there's no reason to wash off the little salt that could add to the mix as I currently spray plants with salt twice a month and they love it. Also if you rinse you could wash off all the microscopic shrimp, crabs, fish, ect ... I do put back the seahorses i find as they have a hard enough time surviving in the wild ... Since there is so much life in the weed I use, I've come to the conclusion that it can be called a seaweed & fish emulsion fertilizer. The first day of my batch is pictured here, I didn't look for the 30 day pic but when it's dark water and bubbling up a storm it's ready for its prime time debut ;)

I am also now mixing seaweed into soil when I have extra and put as ground cover ... great stuff and good luck with your batch :)

Ramon, no lid? Just leave the bucket open? (btw that's exactly the kind of seaweeds i picked up from the beach, they look like small grapes)

Ramon, no lid? Just leave the bucket open? (btw that's exactly the kind of seaweeds i picked up from the beach, they look like small grapes)

Yes, lid but I didn't have it on for the picture. That specic buket has a screw on lid and if you get a fish airator stone & pump it's all automatic. If no pump you'll have to open it up every 2 days and mash & stir for long time ...

Ok, just did what Ramon suggested, and i got my seaweed fert ready to use!

spray1.jpg

This is the first batch of juice i got...

spray2c.jpg

put it in a spray bottle and sprayed my plants!

The smell is like rotten sea!

I sprayed on my fatali

fatali1.jpg

sprayed the habanero,

hab1i.jpg

and the aji cristal, too

aji1.jpg

I can see some buds forming there... Should i cut em off?

(seedlings already been transplanted into bigger pots, since roots were coming out of the drainage holes)

Manolo while your tea looks ok, the longer you wait the better the seaweed decomposes. I’m not sure what type of weed you use but the Sargassum seaweed I harvest here takes that long & then some to decompose. Plus the little fish and crustaceans in the weed need time to decompose as well. When mine was done the water was very dark and I had very little weed left in the container as it was breaking down good. I strained out the weed and diluted with water into gallon jugs, on my second batch now and I think it’s going to come out better. Post back how it works for you and good luck with it ^_^

Back