• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

indoor Second Opinion on sick indoor crop

So, I started my first indoor pepper crop in october. I got a Sunleaves T5 flourecent 4 foot light from a friend who didn't need it anymore, and setup my closet with the intention of moving the plants outside when the weather allows.

I have 2 pepperoncini, 1 Tabasco, 1 Thai Sun, and 1 Bhut Jolokia.

One pepperoncini is the best of the bunch, some yellowing leaves, but a number of white flowers and already has many branches, nice smooth leaves, and several full size fruits. Still, enough yellow to be of concern, maybe 20% of mostly older foliage.

The other pepperoncini is much smaller few branches, also yellow, but... also some full size fruit.

The tabasco is a mess,.... it was originally the biggest but its leaves all curled over. From the edges inward and upward. Uncurling leaves doesn't reveal any evidence of eggs or insects. Growth is slow, and all curled up. Otherwise green, with little yellowing.

The thai sun seems uneffected, but its a very small plant (the only type I have grown before, so I expected this), but green and producing several peppers.

The last, the Bhut Jolokia.... it was the biggest and strongest of its kin. It was to be the one to move on and be grown out.... but it was the first pepper plant that out cat ever saw, and she couldn't resist pruning it for us. This worked out as it has grown back lush and green, stocky and healthy looking. It is in between the thai sun and the pepperoncini in size, has 2 main branches, with new tips showing at each node.... but has not started branching yet.

This last one, aside from its health, and it is said to grow slow and be difficult.... it has a symptom that I don't see on the others.... cottony tufts (1-2 mm around) along the underside of each leaf, along the stem. The secondary veins where these tufts were largest seemed to have collapsed in the middle, causing the leaf to wrinkle.

I examined these under 100x magnification with a crappy handheld microscope. They appear to be just translucent filiments. No other structure could be identified, but, they did each seem to originate separately from the surface of the vein.

It looks a lot like mold, and I do see some white fuzz on the soil in some of them.... looking around, I see some articles that lead me to think "white mold" which comes with a recommendation of removing the plant and soil, even going so far as to recommend burning if possible. It concerns me that the closet is a wonderful place for these fungi to spread.

can you post pics of all, its nice to have a verbal explination, but lots of pics will really help! the leaf cur cold just be too much water. but please post up pics.

I didn't see any way to put pix up directly here, so I setup a flikr account, probably about time I did that anyway.

I included one pic from a month ago, and a closeup of the underside of the Bhut Jolokia leaf.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73518040@N04/

can't really tell from the pics...you don't have a macro lens do you?...as far as the little white tufts go...my first thought was snowy aphids... I think that's what they are called...

Actually, as I was writing that up last night, I was starting to convince myself that it may be too much water, apparently I underestimated the power of soil to wick water up from below. Most of my soil experience is outside in the ground, and most of my indoor experience is hydroponic, this is my first serious attempt at doing soil in a closet.

The nice thing about these 2 bucket pots is it should be trivial to drain them of water, I think I will do that now and see if they improve after it drys out a bit
I will have to get my real camera back so I can get a better closeup of that mold.

too much water'll do it...peppers don't like wet feet...

All I have is the camera phone atm, but they don't look like insects up close. I have one of those handheld microscopes you can get for $5 at radio shack... so its not the easiest thing to sight in. What it looked like to me, under the 100x was translucent filiments. I didn't see any divisions that indicated multiple cells, but its not like I used a stain or anything... but I certainly didn't see legs. The really odd thing is that they seem to be coming directly out of the vein, individually.

Of course, I am looking at the price of usb microscopes that can do 400x and I am starting to wonder why I don't have one yet

The yellowing leaves are probably from underfertilizing. The rest could be overwatering. Pop a fan on those suckers too it'll help. Use it to circulate the air in the room not blow on your plants. They like moving air but not a steady wind.

Actually, I considered that, been trying to go light on fertilizer and then ratchet it up as I get more comfortable with them and their needs.
Though its all new soil from bags, so I figured it probably wouldn't need much right off the bat, so I only gave them a light feeding early on.

The big plant that is yellowing is much more dry already than the rest, so I will try to give it a feeding tonight.

I always end up forgetting about fans... have to see what I can do about that.

As for the odd fungus, I had some "mildew cure", and figuring that messing with its PH and tossing some oils at it was probably, at the least, not going to help this fungus, and will have to do until I can figure out what might work better.

for future reference plain ol' corn meal will take care of the green stuff growing on top of your soil....just sprinkle it on....

I'd also say the problem if from overwatering. Let it dry out a bit and don't water as much and I'm sure it will be fine

I will keep the corn meal in mind, but I am not as worried about fungus in the soil... fungus will grow in soil afterall.

I am more concerned about these white growths on the bottoms of my jolokia leaves. I am undecided as to what it is, it could be related to some insect, but its only on the one plant... and I don't see any other evidence of an insect.

So far just white hairs, a couple of mm long, in little tufts along the main vein.

If its a fungus, I think a systemic fungicide is called for. Should have my camera tonight, will try to get some pics up.

ok, I got my camera with the macro lens back from the guy I lent it to. Here goes.... I took some sample leaves of what had me concerned.

I noticed some of the lower leaves are unaffected and show much smoother and without these clumps of "white hairs" as seen in these pics.

Not too sure what it is, but the ones that I got a good direct spray of that mildew cure did seem to die back.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73811729@N02/

Back