• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

recipe Secret Aardvark Clone (YM)

This is my first attempt at a secret aardvark clone. I think it was pretty spot on. I wanted to digitize the recipe before my written copy that has been getting shuffled around, disappears. I made this recipe last winter and my notes on the recipe suggests increasing the white wine vinegar and possibly the fire roasted tomatoes. I left them as 1 bottle and 1 cans worth in the recipe out of simplicity. I used habaneros due to them being used in the original sauce but I plan to make this recipe in the future with much hotter peppers. It should be shelf stable, but PH should be tested before trusting, trust at your own risk.
Secret Aardvark Clone
Ingredients:
2 tablespoons mustard powder
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon oil
½ medium white onion (diced)
1 medium carrot (grated)
8 cloves garlic (diced)
12 fluid oz white wine vinegar (1 bottle)
14.5 oz fire roasted tomatoes (canned/diced)
2 tablespoons sea salt
10 seeded red jalapenos (diced)
10 habaneros (diced)
1 teaspoon black pepper (powder)
½ teaspoon cumin (powder)
½ teaspoon coriander
1 cup water
½ bunch cilantro (diced)
Instructions:
Mix mustard powder and water together in a small bowl and allow to rest for at least 10 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients to a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to simmer, mix in mustard mixture, simmer over medium/low heat for 20 minutes. Turn off heat and use stick blender to puree mixture or allow to cool a bit and use blender. Return to sauce pan and bring to simmer for 5-10 minutes then pour into clean bottles/jars. Store in refrigerator.

Has anybody (besides the OP) had a chance to try/make this copycat recipe? If so, how does it compare to the original? I've heard nothing but good things about the original, but haven't had the chance to try it yet

Back