• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seed casing

I have I believe 2 or 3 sprouts that are about 1-2" tall so far and still have the seed stuck on it's head. What should I do? Will they naturally be popped off from the growth of the leaves?

It really just depends. If left long enough the cap will kill the seedling, but pulling the cap off can kill the seedling as well. It is something you must learn to judge. Normally if I can see at least half the leaf sticking out, I will make an attempt to pull the cap off. If I can't see any of the leaves, I wait and hope that it starts to push off naturally.

There have been a couple of great threads about removal techniques, try a search.

It really just depends. If left long enough the cap will kill the seedling, but pulling the cap off can kill the seedling as well. It is something you must learn to judge. Normally if I can see at least half the leaf sticking out, I will make an attempt to pull the cap off. If I can't see any of the leaves, I wait and hope that it starts to push off naturally.

There have been a couple of great threads about removal techniques, try a search.

Thanks

I'll do some searching, One of them looks like if the leaves had muscles they could just pop the casing off, makes me wanna take some plyers and just squeeze lightly and help crack it open more.

I got some cuticle nippers and a cuticle scissors that I use to help with stubborn caps. I still once in awhile will kill a seedling but it has helped allot with removing stubborn seed caps. I would also recommend getting a magnifying glass on a stand for helping. I already had one but the combo of those 3 items have really helped me.

WD-40..........................If you dare................... :stop:

I keep the seed hull moist with a misting bottle fill with water.While looking through a magnifier, I squeeze the corners with a pair of needle nose pliers. If I can oval out the casing and lift off without pulling up on the stem, then its a success. If the seedling begins to pull from the soil then I stop and remist. The last thing you want to do is snap the tender root. If so you could end up with a stunted plant......(midget).............. :tear: .

Also I've noticed if you keep the seedling in a humid environment (ie. covered seed tray under a good high temp) it helps soften up the case a bit making removal a bit easier.

WD-40..........................If you dare................... :stop:

I keep the seed hull moist with a misting bottle fill with water.While looking through a magnifier, I squeeze the corners with a pair of needle nose pliers. If I can oval out the casing and lift off without pulling up on the stem, then its a success. If the seedling begins to pull from the soil then I stop and remist. The last thing you want to do is snap the tender root. If so you could end up with a stunted plant......(midget).............. :tear: .

You have far more patience than me, Greg! For me, it's all or nothing the first go. :lol: Of course, something tells me you might just have a higher "de-helmeting" success rate than me. ;)

WD-40...... :rofl:

Leave them alone and keep them moist, they'll come off. Too much of this OCD attention will kill the plant.

IMG_3399.jpg

crop3400.jpg

I've had this issue with certain seeds. I just make sure the seed is moist and then use tweezers to squeeze the edges. Most of the time it just comes right off.

Back