• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seed depth and soil tempature question

I built me a table yesterday to fit over an oil heater to start my seeds on. The heater looks like one of those old timey radiators that you see in Yankee houses only its full of hot oil. It heats the table up just fine. The heat level is adjustable on the heater. I have a digital thermometer. If I stick it deep into the soil the tempature reads in the high nineties. If I stick the thermometer into the soil only an inch it reads 85f. I can turn this down or up if I wnat to. I am using little plastic drink cups.

I guess I need to know how deep the seeds are to be planted.

I am also a little confused about how to wet the soil. Am I understanding correctly to just keep it damp?

If you are using a seed germination tray, like a 72 cell tray, what I do is fill each cell with you seed starting soil, wet it down and then fill it back up because the soil will compress. Then take your seed and place then into the soil about 1/4" and cover. I personally use a spray bottle and spray the top of the soil until it is completely wet throughout. Next place the dome on the tray and just remember to maintain a moist soil condition. I usually also take a thermometer and stick it through the dome and into the soil. I like to keep the soil Temps around 80 - 85 F. As soon as the seeds sprout remove the dome.

Pepperfreak said:
If you are using a seed germination tray, like a 72 cell tray, what I do is fill each cell with you seed starting soil, wet it down and then fill it back up because the soil will compress. Then take your seed and place then into the soil about 1/4" and cover. I personally use a spray bottle and spray the top of the soil until it is completely wet throughout. Next place the dome on the tray and just remember to maintain a moist soil condition. I usually also take a thermometer and stick it through the dome and into the soil. I like to keep the soil Temps around 80 - 85 F. As soon as the seeds sprout remove the dome.

What happens when some sprout and some still have not sprouted? Are you able to remove individual cells or are the cells fused together?

As soon as some have sprouted remove the dome, just remember to keep the soil moist on the ones that have not sprouted (you just don't want these un-sprouted seeds to dry out.

Pepperfreak said:
As soon as some have sprouted remove the dome, just remember to keep the soil moist on the ones that have not sprouted (you just don't want these un-sprouted seeds to dry out.

Thank You.

What PF said:)
Personally I cut my 72 cell trays into 8 3 by3 squares. This makes them easier to handle and water, and you have more flexibility with moving different stages of plants around meaning you can take out cell blocks that sprout and put them directly under the lights while leaving other under the dome. I like to spray the tops when first planted and then bottom water after when things get dry

Pepperfreak said:
Excellent idea Potawie, I never thought of cutting the trays. Thanks ;)

definitely a great idea. I have about 8 sprouts on a 50 tray currently and am deciding what's best. leave the tray on, or take it off and add the lights? I don't want the growing ones to get leggy but I want the humidity and heat to be retained in the soil, so cutting the cells and re-organizing would be the way to do it. nice tip.

Or if you don't want to cut the tray (or they are such that cutting is next to impossible) you can use something like Saran Wrap to cover the cells that have not germinated.

Mike

Are you asking about the holes in the 72 cell inserts or the tray that the insert sits in?

I bought the Jiffy Greenhouse set at lowes. It has 3 72 cell inserts, 3 trays to put them in, and 3 humidity domes. The cell inserts do have holes in the bottom for drainage, but the trays that they sit in do not. I did not see any of the trays with the holes in them for sale there though.

jacob

jjs7741 said:
Are you asking about the holes in the 72 cell inserts or the tray that the insert sits in?

I bought the Jiffy Greenhouse set at lowes. It has 3 72 cell inserts, 3 trays to put them in, and 3 humidity domes. The cell inserts do have holes in the bottom for drainage, but the trays that they sit in do not. I did not see any of the trays with the holes in them for sale there though.

jacob

Yep, Lowe's is where I get mine too. That reminds me, I need to take a drive to pick some up soon.

I haven't seen any of the 72 cell inserts that are perforated, so I guess I'm going to have to look a bit harder next run to the hardware store. And no, I wasn't talking about the 20x10 trays that the inserts would sit in. I'm not that much of a newbie... :)

Not what I was inferring. They do make the 20X10 with holes and as a mesh. I didn't know if you were asking about wether they were sold local or online. As far as the 72 cell inserts, I have never seen any without the holes in the bottom. By perforated, do you mean the 3X3 cell section that Petowie cuts them into? Never seen them like that locally, but Greenhouse Megastore sells the cell sections. They are 2X3 cell sections. $8 to fill 10 20X10trays.

Sorry, little tired tonight. Kinda slow.:lol:
jacob

Back