• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seed dormancy...

I am curious as to when I can start seeds. They are firm but look a bit shiny. Seeds have been out of pod for 2 weeks maybe. I'm thinking they need a period of time before planting but not sure. I am just wanting to do a couple experiments this winter with a couple plants. Thanks for any advice.

I've planted straight out of the pod with good results. In fact, I've had more issues with stored seeds. I am curious about other people's experiences, also.

I recently tried germinating some seeds that I pulled from a red habanero that was still in its orange phase, just to see what kind of germination rate I would get. They had only out of the pepper for 2 weeks when I put them into a damp paper towel in a ziplock bag on my windowsill. After 8 days at 70 degrees all but one has germinated.

You only need to dry them if you plan on storing them. seeds will germinate straight out of the pod.

Little bit off topic but

NAGABLONESSEEDCUT-1.jpg

These little fellas came a season after some pods were left to spoil on the surface.

Pretty cool

I took some Anaheim seeds straight out of a not-quite-ripe pod back in March and planted them right out of the pod. Both sprouted fairly quickly, and 4 1/2 months later, I have 2 gorgeous foot-and-a-half foot tall Anaheim plants with 3-4 inch pods popping up all over!

And here I've been tossing the (literally) thousands of Jalapeno seeds I have had from all the poppers I've made every weekend this summer. Now I'm going to just start tossing them around out on our easement in front of the house and see if anything germinates. For some reason I also thought they had to sit for awhile.

My front flowerbed is full of volunteer plants. Just have to wait and see what they are after they pod.

Back