• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds seed from Supermarket bought chili for growing

Not enough information has been provided to comment either way. Do you have a photo of what you bought?

is it ok or are they hybrid type which means i may get different result what i bought?

generally, you can not tell if the pods were produced from a hybrid or what...the only way to tell is to plant them and see what they grow out...if they grow true to the pod size/shape you bought, then chances are they will continue to grow that way...

Not enough information has been provided to comment either way. Do you have a photo of what you bought?

1) Indian store bought medium hot (no name on the carton)
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/image560g.jpg/

2) supermarket bought sweet pepperoni
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/140/image559.jpg/

Sorry, image quality is a bit degraded and i can't have picture view directly here on the post

generally, you can not tell if the pods were produced from a hybrid or what...the only way to tell is to plant them and see what they grow out...if they grow true to the pod size/shape you bought, then chances are they will continue to grow that way...

yeah, that i'm gonna do...seeds germinated...so lets see
thanks for the reply :)

I started out growing pepper seeds from the store. Got to start somewhere. If you like the way they taste then thats the most important part AFAIC

I started out growing pepper seeds from the store. Got to start somewhere. If you like the way they taste then thats the most important part AFAIC

that i will do as well...lets see if there's any surprises
unfortunately my previous batch of sweet pepper plants were dead because of some root eating white maggot like creature

but trying afresh again

There's not really anyway to tell without growing them out, or contacting the grower or something (which of course may not possible).

I personally wouldn't waist my time growing from a seed from an untrusted source that may or may not yield a pepper that i'm looking for. I personally don't mind dropping the $5-$10 purchasing seeds from a trusted vendor that will guarantee the seeds have been isolated and will not be a cross.

I personally wouldn't waist my time growing from a seed from an untrusted source that may or may not yield a pepper that i'm looking for. I personally don't mind dropping the $5-$10 purchasing seeds from a trusted vendor that will guarantee the seeds have been isolated and will not be a cross.
i hadn't have any idea beforehand and i think now after talking to some of my colleagues as well, i'll be opting organic/heirloom seeds for growing chili plants in upcoming times

anyway...i let the young pepper plants to grow [its hard not to care for them]...let see what surprises they offer

not to hijack here but;

got any idea of contact information for one of these:

"from a trusted vendor that will guarantee the seeds have been isolated and will not be a cross."

i sure am interested in a vendor like that?

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

I started out by saving the seeds from my habaneros and scotch bonnets that I got from the supermarket... the seeds dried out and were kept in a zip lock baggie with a desiccant packet... the majority of mine germinated and now I have a bunch of peppers... had to give some away because I ran out of space in my condo.... (they don't grow too well outside 9 months of the year around here)

they look pretty true to the original form and now are way hotter than the supermarket donor pods the seeds came from... they all seem to taste good too.. also much better than the donor plants... If you want to experiment... they are a cheap way to play...

I've not tried to save any of the seeds from these 2nd generation plants to see if they will grow and look the same too.. but I'd imagine they will work.... give it a shot.... sometimes surprises are cool too

Back