seeds Seed Germination

Is a steady 100•f to hot for pepper seeds to germinate?
I've got a body temp heat incubator for liquid media from the hospital I work at ( I'm a bio-medical tech), it's like a constant temP heat box and it stays at 100.. I though this might be handy for seed germ...

Ideas..??

I believe that 95F is the high end cutoff point. I saw an article a couple of years ago on this subject. I think it was from the U of Fl that went into greater detail about Temp v Germination rate.

Here is the funny thing - Most Seed Germination mats add 10-20 degrees. If you are using the mat inside as most people do, and the inside temp is 72 to 75F add in the max of 20F puts you pretty darn close to that 95F mark.

I think it has been said that 85F is the optimal temperature. I am not positive about that though. AlabamaJack could tell you. He has done a bit of research in this department. Either wait for him to see this or shoot him a PM.

Optimal soil temp for the germination of seeds is between 80-85F. Its hard to find a way to keep that temp steady, so there is a little variance. You could use the mat, but maybe find something like a basting rack that will keep the seeds a little higher.

Is a steady 100•f to hot for pepper seeds to germinate?
I've got a body temp heat incubator for liquid media from the hospital I work at ( I'm a bio-medical tech), it's like a constant temP heat box and it stays at 100.. I though this might be handy for seed germ...

Ideas..??

Lord yes...way too high...

Here is a graph I copied off of an ag extension section of the U of F at Imokolee, Fl.

the article is no longer available but it talked germination percent vs temperature for some annuums...I have used this as a guideline for my grows...you have a drastic drop off after 30C (86F) and at 40C (104F) it drops dang near zero...I germinate at a constant 86F...

germinationpercent.jpg

This is the incubator..
I think if i monitor the temp and cycle the power, i could get a constant 80-85-90f temps... hey, its cool and free ya know.....?!

1f479aa6.jpg

20d2ccdc.jpg

your pictures are broken, looks like you put another http in front of the link.

what is a body temp media warmer anyway?

edit:bad grammar

Here you go...

1f479aa6.jpg

20d2ccdc.jpg

Shop around for something like this. It will turn the power on and off based on the soil temperature.

Back