• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seed Longevity---How long will seeds last?

I've been growing Kung Pao for several years. (Kung Pao is a hybrid, but I haven't noticed much difference how it grows from saved seed.) Anyhow, the plants I grew last year were definitely not the same. I think they'd crossed with some Korean peppers supplied by Bootsieb.

So, I went back to some pods saved from the 2010 crop and did a germination test with the 3-year-old seeds. I checked this morning and found that 7 out of 17 seeds had popped overnight.

I hadn't stored these pods anyway special, because I wasn't planning to use the seeds. I keep my seed collection in the refrigerator.

So, lesson learned is that seeds for this variety have at least a 3-year life. I thought this information might be helpful since the longevity question comes up now and then.

I've sown seeds this season that were 10 years old and they germinated fine. The conditions you store the seeds in has a big influence on how long they will last.

They can last you quite some time :) . I'm sure past our lifespans. The germination rate will go down as time goes on though.

AFAIK(wikipedia here, or so I can remember), people found 7000 year old choco hab seeds, Not sure if they grew any of them though. 

Back