• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

pod Seed mix up or different phenotype type??

So I ordered a pack of seeds from a trusted seed distributor online (Puckerbutt) which I have used in the past with great success. I have grown a few different types of hot peppers using their seeds Thai, Carolina Reaper... among others And now I wanted to try a new type so I ordered a new pepper called Devil's Rib... I grew 2 plants and the plants grew wonderfully ...but the peppers could not have been any different.See the picture... The description was the pods were supposed to be 3-4 inches long and bright red...The peachy colored ones I thought weren't ripe...but they never changed... They went from bright green, to yellowish, to this peachy color... Where as the other plant went red like the description but obviously didn't grow nearly to the length and shape they should have...I contacted the distributors and was told they would speak to their growing experts and get back several months later and many unanswered emails...I figured I'd poll you fine people and see what y'all thought...

Attachments

• IMG_20201113_081943417.jpg
    IMG_20201113_081943417.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 127
it may not just be the peppers genetics. Growing conditions can affect the size of the peppers. As far as the color variation this could just be a simple seed mix up. When you're dealing with thousands of seeds that look exactly the same for the most part they're going to have a few mix-ups.

Demented it does look alot like that one...hmmmm..I personally would call it hotter than medium heat I don't know though...but thanks for that one.

Either way they are good and hot, they grew well easy keepers. Thanks for the replies everyone I wanted the information more for going forward with my growing so I know what I am producing.

I have found that supplier to be a bit of a mixed bag - quite literally. Most of the seeds I planted from them rarely grew true to their description. That wasn’t because they bagged up the wrong seed, but cross pollination or fairly unstable genetics seemed to be very common.

Edaxflamma said:
I have found that supplier to be a bit of a mixed bag - quite literally. Most of the seeds I planted from them rarely grew true to their description. That wasn’t because they bagged up the wrong seed, but cross pollination or fairly unstable genetics seemed to be very common.
And they're just overall very disorganized. I've seen them post pictures to social media with greenhouses full of plants with 4-12 pepper names written on them. Some crossed off, some not, and some very obvious miss-labellings.

I wouldn't assume dishonesty. A lot of really passionate growers are not well organized. I once sent seed of a special tomato to the Seed Savers Exchange so that they could trial it. Months later they contacted me because it might have been crossed. It hadn't been crossed, but somehow in packaging I got a pinch of another (very different variety) mixed in. They had to rogue out the other variety and after that, everything was okay.

It's also very easy to mislabel a packet of seeds if one gets distracted.

Back