seeds seed orientation and correlation with failure ?

Hi All,

Sometimes my seeds will germinate and manage to poke 3 or 4mm above the soil line, but the seed case stays on.

Despite my efforts to help soften the case so it can come off by itself, this doesn't seem to happen, and the seedling stops growing.

So, when manually removing the seed case, the cotyldons inside seem to be incredibly weak or withered to nothing. I guess that's why they stop growing - they don't have the energy to do any more than they already have.

The end result is that the seedling is a failure.

Every single time this happens, it seems to be because the seed has been placed in the soil with the "radicle" downwards.

( http://www.seedbiology.de/images/pepper.gif - that's where I have got the term from ).

My interpreation is that the radicle becomes the root stem which goes straight down in the soil, pushing the seed case out in minimum time so it perhaps doesn't get enough moisture and thus soften enough to come off by itself ?!

So, the question is this (and before I ask it, I understand most people will *probably* not look into things with this much detail especially when they are sowing dozens or hundred or thousands of seeds):

Is there an optimum position for seed placement ? Keep reading ....

When they do germinate, my sister-in-law calls them "knuckles", but I've read on this forum that people also call them "hooks".

It further seems to me that the best knuckles come about when the radicle points upward, since the new root has to come up and then turn down into the soil. All this time, the seed casing is in the mix, softening up so it can come off easily when it breaks the surface

So, perhaps I have answered my own question - where time and effort permits, sow the seeds with the radicle upwards ?

Does anybody have thoughts on the matter ?

Regads,

Tim

PS - the reason I ask is that I have about 40 new superhot hybrid seeds to sow and I'd love them to have the *best* chance of germinating well and surviving

I just make a hole with a pencil, drop it down however which way it falls.  I rarely get a seed stuck on when they pop up.  In cases where it happens it's usually when the soil is drying out a bit.  Most folks just keep the seed wet until the cotyledons push it off.  I just give them a little squeeze and lift them off.  Never had any issues doing it this way. 

Ive grown about 60 plants from seeds, only had one helmet wearer. I never payed any attention to which way the seed went into the soil.

Thanks Browning.

Perhaps then I am sowing them too shallow, i.e. too close to the surface which means when it dries out (in my heated propagator), the seed dries out.

I think I have had more failures from sowing too deep though.

As with most things, it's finding the "middle ground' I guess :)

Hey Sarge - love that description. Two things come to mind - 1) Darth Vader, and 2) I really shouldn't mention here .... :rofl:  classic !

Also, thanks Ed, but I must admit I have been sowing alot more shallow than that for fear of rot.

Regards,

Tim

A good seed raising mix should provide enough friction to prevent the sprout from pulling the seed completely out of the mix.

The depth meinchoh aims for is about the depth I try to sow seeds here.

What have you been using as your seed starting medium?

Hi Harry,

Have been using jiffy pellets until my experiments this year - and the pellets are where all my "helmet wearers" have come from.

I'm playing around now with a blend of Miracle Grow Orchid Mix and Osmocote Seed Raising mix - 90% from the bottom up is plain orchid mix, and the top 10% being the seed planting region is an even combination of the two. (Recently, I seperately planted one seed into this mix in both 2" pots and small germination cells like rapid rooters for five different types of plant - while this is combining multiple variations from my normal procedure, I hope one of those setups will prove to be clearly superior for the future. My thinking is that the Orchid Mix may be too coarse for seedlings, but if you put it into small cells, it may retain sufficient moisture for root growth, etc).

I changed because I find the jiffy pellets seem to have a certain number of waterings in them before they don't hold moisture anymore (irrespective of whether they are behind shadecloth, in the shade, or in a heated/unheated propagator). That's why I find germination of the super hots to be difficult since the pellets don't seem to be able to provide the right environment for the right period of time.

Regards,

Tim

Back