• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seed prep question

Ghosty here, I sent some bhut seeds to some friends and one guy reported that only the "immature" seeds I sent germinated. He said the larger seeds, one that had small bits of dried placenta on them did not germinate. Does tiny bits of placenta attached to the seed damage it in any way ? I hate to send seeds that are not hardy. If it is a question of more careful prep, then I will ensure no placenta is on them.

Ghosty...

clean seeds have a better chance to germinate!, if there is anything on the seeds there is a good chance of fungus growth!!! Which I'm sure fungus gnats larvae would enjoy!

clean seeds have a better chance to germinate!, if there is anything on the seeds there is a good chance of fungus growth!!! Which I'm sure fungus gnats larvae would enjoy!
Thanks, mega, noted. I will make sure any new ones are clean as a whistle, what is the best method of stripping them of placenta then ?

Ghosty...

let the seeds soak in 1 tsp of hydrogen peroxide and one cup of distilled water for 2 hours, remove the seeds using a strainer, then gently rub both sides of the seed with a q-tip (if you see anything on the seeds)

then gently rub both sides of the seed with a q-tip (if you see anything on the seeds)

That seems labor intensive if you have lots of seeds! It doesn't
hurt to get the seeds wet before germinating them?

That seems labor intensive if you have lots of seeds! It doesn't
hurt to get the seeds wet before germinating them?

ya, its a little work esp if there are a lot of seeds! But it is the best way to germinate if there is pepper flesh or anything else on the seeds!!! Or he could throw them away, and get clean seeds. No, it doesn't hurt the seeds at all! I've done it myself :)

Thanks, mega, noted. I will make sure any new ones are clean as a whistle, what is the best method of stripping them of placenta then ?
I forgot to mention, you should rinse after you let them soak in hydrogen/h2O

Ghosty...

It's certainly something I will look at when I germinate seeds for myself.

So can I clean the dried ones I have now using this method, if so I will do so, it seems a waste to toss them ?

Ghosty...

It's certainly something I will look at when I germinate seeds for myself.

you dont really have to do it unless the seeds have chili flesh on them, in other words unclean seeds, I would also suggest it if the seeds are old

So can I clean the dried ones I have now using this method, if so I will do so, it seems a waste to toss them ?

Ghosty...

gently clean the seeds with a qtip after the soak and rinse, then you can plant them

you dont really have to do it unless the seeds have chili flesh on them, in other words unclean seeds, I would also suggest it if the seeds are old

Thanks, now my next problem, hard to find distilled water around here, they used to sell it but don't anymore, will boiled water (obviously cooled before use) work just as well ?

Ghosty...

Thanks, now my next problem, hard to find distilled water around here, they used to sell it but don't anymore, will boiled water (obviously cooled before use) work just as well ?

Ghosty...

Yes, you can boil and let cool, or let the water sit at room temp for 24-48 hrs, to rid most of the chlorine

Hmm, I haven't had an issue with chile flesh being on my seeds. However, I've had moldy seeds when not dried fast enough before. All my cayenne seeds got moldy this year! I planted them and had low germination rates but they grew. I had no other option unless I wanted to buy some cayenne seeds.

gently clean the seeds with a qtip after the soak and rinse, then you can plant them
mega,

I did a test batch, soaked in water peroxide two hours, like you said put on dry paper towel, they were semi dry when I tried to qtip them and the red placenta is sticking, should I have done it while they were still soaked ?

Finally, what is the best, most efficient way to harvest seeds and then store them from scratch so I never have to worry about this again ? Can you freeze them ?

Thanks...

Ghosty...

Back