• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seed production?

HotPeppas

Banned
Strain dependent or pod dependent?

I just got done cutting open 2 varietys of cayennes. A slim and a regular. The slim had half of what the regular had so i ask this question

It seems that it may have something to do with strain, however i have seen differences in the amount of seeds from pod to pod in even the same species on the same plant so i would say there really no set criteria for seed amount,
there are a few species that are well known for having alot of seeds
many annum for example like cherry peppers,paprika and bells, also some Jalapenos have many also

hope this helps

thanks your friend joe

Strain dependent or pod dependent?

I just got done cutting open 2 varietys of cayennes. A slim and a regular. The slim had half of what the regular had so i ask this question

The number of seeds produced by a given pod is dependent on how well the flower was pollinated. I've seen varieties that produce loads of pollen and others that have produced not so much.

The seed counts I have seen vary from pod to pod. There appears to be a correlation between the number of seeds and the size of a pod too.

With a healthy plant, close enough to optimal conditions, the majority of the fruits' seed count will be strain dependent, but due to variations like location on the plant, wind, bugs, nutrients, rain, mutations, etc, individual pods can vary from the average.

Back