Seed Saving Accident

Hi there again.  I just had a little accident a while ago.  So yesterday I bought a couple peppers from a local supermarket (see topic under Pepper I.D.)  So I robbed the seeds of the Banana Pepper last night.  No problems.  Put these seeds on paper towel in small tin foil pan then inside toaster oven.  Placed remaining two peppers on a Styrofoam meat tray on top of my faithful toaster oven.  Again, no problems.  So dinner comes and stove was full so I threw a couple pieces of chicken in the toaster oven, yum yum.  Yes I took the seeds out of the toaster oven, and I placed the foil tray beside the styrofoam tray on top of the toaster oven.  A half hour goes by and I go check on the chicken and then I see it.  The styrofoam tray is melting peppers are baking, and my other seeds in the foil tray are baking.  So yesterdays seeds are now dry, and the other peppers were slightly baked.  It was too hot to touch, but it did not totally bake them.  I do have a couple of them now germinating, to see if they will still grow.

Does anyone think the seeds may be compromised?  Time may tell if they sprout or not.

Sound cooked to me, but they may end up surprising you.

This reminds me of people who germinate seeds via the pilot light in their oven.  Everyone seems to forget at least once!

Well it looks like I will get to go shopping again, just to be safe.  :shh: I guess I will double up my purchases next time, and learn from my mistakes.  I should also add that the seeds turned a darker color than I am used to.  The pepper I cut open actually looked normal seed color.

Yah I would agree that the seeds are toast once they get so hot that the seed color changes the endosperm inside is usually fried, but who knows you might get lucky with a few.

Back