• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seed saving - how to best accomplish without cross-pollinating?

I'm sure like most other things this question has been asked before. I have tried numerous ways to save seeds but since I have 500 pepper plants (none of which are far from others), I have not had good success in doing this. This being why I buy new seeds every year. Plus only from seed places that I've never run into something of theres not being what it was supposed to be. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying when I plant a row of 22 Helios (Orange Hab), I want 22. Not 18 and 4 I can't identify. Has anyone used the "Blossom bags" to accomplish this? I saw recently so was wondering. I might try a few this year and then next year - if those turn out ok, I can start saving key things that I know I want to grow year in and year out (and provide to others if they'd like). Thoughts? The Blossom bags can be placed over a bud before it flowers then I believe I would have to pollinate from another on same plant or same type plant - then recover. Anyone?

Yes, I have used Organza bags to isolate flowers. Covering the entire plant in mosquito netting works too. Some people glue the flowers shut before they open. Basically any method that keeps bees from bringing pollen into the flower should work.

No, you won't have to then hand pollinate each flower and then recover them. Peppers have "perfect" flowers, which means each flower is capable of self-pollination. They don't need another plant or even another flower to do so. It doesn't hurt to give the plant an occasional shake to knock the pollen loose and help it get where it needs to go. But you certainly don't need to hand pollinate each isolated flower. As long as some of the pollen ends up falling on the stigma of the flowers, you should be fine.

Last edited:
Here's an example of using tulle to bag the whole plant, courtesy of @MikeUSMC, circa 2016.

Items needed: Tulle, Gorilla Tape, staples, and a bungee cord.

1710772858083.jpeg

Yes, I have used Organza bags to isolate flowers. Covering the entire plant in mosquito netting works too. Some people glue the flowers shut before they open. Basically any method that keeps bees from bringing pollen into the flower should work.

No, you won't have to then hand pollinate each flower and then recover them. Peppers have "perfect" flowers, which means each flower is capable of self-pollination. They don't need another plant or even another flower to do so. It doesn't hurt to give the plant an occasional shake to knock the pollen loose and help it get where it needs to go. But you certainly don't need to hand pollinate each isolated flower. As long as some of the pollen ends up falling on the stigma of the flowers, you should be fine.
Thank you for the reply. I wondered about how to do - now I have something to try and potentially save us a ton of money!

Back