• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

media Seed Starter Mixes or Coco Coir

I've heard a lot about Hoffman Seed Starter mix but can't find it here in Portland Oregon. Does anyone have experience with either Black Gold or Fox Farms Seed Starter mixes? How about Coco Coir? I'm looking for a medium to start my grow with. I'm looking for the voice of experience.

you can order Hoffmans online...but the shipping comes into play there...I ordered 10 18 Qt bags this year and even with shipping, I came out better than buying it locally...here is a steal on it from Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Hoffman-30118-Seed-Starter-Quarts/dp/B000BPPP4U

I have tried the Fox Farms Light Warrior and was disappointed in the size of the perlite...large chunks that came to the top of the mix when I was loading it in the trays and even though the perlite holds water nicely, the chunks were too big and IMO made the roots grow around them...

Jimmy Seed Starting mix is my second choice...

you just want a very light weight soil-less mixture that holds water well and has zero nutrients in it...

I've heard a lot about Hoffman Seed Starter mix but can't find it here in Portland Oregon. Does anyone have experience with either Black Gold or Fox Farms Seed Starter mixes? How about Coco Coir? I'm looking for a medium to start my grow with. I'm looking for the voice of experience.

I prefer Jiffy peat pellets myself. But ya, order some Hoffmans if you dont want to use the Jiffy pellets. The pellets are only .15 each at my local garden store, All you have to do is pre soak them. No mixing required and it's almost impossible for the seeds not to sprout!~

From AJ's recommendations I ordered a bag of Hoffman's off Amazon and I think the 10qt bag was like 19 bucks with shipping or something like that. I used it for a flat of 50 cells, and I also used Rapid Rooter plugs. I personally (so far) love the Rapid Rooters because I can see into the hole and watch the seedling come up. Pretty cool and gives you a heads up that things are actually happening beneath the surface. About 8 seedlings popped first in the Rapid Rooters (first came up 2 days ago) and today I have 2 up in the Hoffman's.

I would say if you are growing a smaller amount (50-100) and you can afford it go with the Rapid Rooters. I got them for about 40 bucks for 2 flats and free shipping off eBay. If you are starting a ton of seeds I would go with the Hoffmans because it is a very light and great mix for an unbeatable price.

Yea I like the idea of a plug strictly for handling and yes the ability to see is a plus but we are starting maybe 4 -5 72 count trays. It just seems expensive. How about coco coir? Anyone use coco coir? Today I saw our local nursery had 72 count domes with coco coir pellets for $6.99 each!

you can order Hoffmans online...but the shipping comes into play there...I ordered 10 18 Qt bags this year and even with shipping, I came out better than buying it locally...here is a steal on it from Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Hoffman-30118-Seed-Starter-Quarts/dp/B000BPPP4U

I have tried the Fox Farms Light Warrior and was disappointed in the size of the perlite...large chunks that came to the top of the mix when I was loading it in the trays and even though the perlite holds water nicely, the chunks were too big and IMO made the roots grow around them...

Jimmy Seed Starting mix is my second choice...

you just want a very light weight soil-less mixture that holds water well and has zero nutrients in it...

Did the seeds do well in the Fox Farms ?

Back