• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seed starter

I have had a a lot of success starting seeds of many types, last year someone hooked me up with a bunch of those little discs you soak that swell into self contained net pots. They worked great and transplanting was a snap! but I see the Bhut's I want to start can be a bit particular regarding moisture levels. I will set up a hot bed 85-90, but has anyone use these starters with success? My growing season is limited so I want to give them the best start you experienced growers can recommend. Thanks, Fred

I've used them for the first time this year. I still end up misting about every other day after about the first 5 days of not having to water, due to the heat mat and lights. But all my seeds have had at least a 50% germanation rate (I only planted 4 of each, so the rate may seems low, Overall germanation rate was 75-80%). My Bhut's took only ten days, a little less then I had expected reading other peoples logs. They were treated like any other seed, all my varities were given the same conditions.

I use Jiffy pellets and have no problems with the super hots. The important thing is heat for germination and light after they sprout up. I also use Miracle Gro Cactus Palm and Citrus Soil for a starter soil. Most of the super hots perfer around 75 F to 80 F for germination and can take up to a month to sprout.

The germination using the peat pellets isnt quite as high as if you use starter soil, but the care is a lot easier. It's a lot easier to tell when they are dry vs regular starter soil. Just make sure that you remove them from the heating mat after they sprout.

I had issues with using the jiffy discs. After 2 weeks some of the plants ended up shriveling up and dying or stopped growing. Other plants were doing fine. I started to transplant some of them and noticed that the top 1/2 inch of soil was fine. The rest of the pot was rock hard. I used bottom heat and had it around 80-85 degrees during day and 70-80 at night. I did mist them every few days. I recently transported them to a seed starter and used small solo cups with holes in them. I doubt I will ever touch the discs again. Maybe it was something I was doing wrong but I think there is better ways to start from seed.

Back