• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seed Starting Medium

I am looking for feedback on what seed starting mixes you guys use and how they compare to others you have tried. Just got some seeds that I want to start asap (Thank you Jamie!), but there are so many different opinions on seed starting medium that I thought I would ask on here before I get started.

I use soilless mix for my potting medium, 5 parts bark fines, 1 part pumice, 1 part sphagnum peat. I hear this is viable as a seed starting mix but I am skeptical because it is so coarse.

I also have fine vermiculite which is supposedly good on its own to start seeds.

-Phil

I use Jiffy Peat pellets, simply because they are easy and consistent, but you have to get used to the water holding idiosyncrasies of them as they can be hard to judge compared with a normal soil mix

I previously have simply used a fine potting/seed raising mix with no dramas (however I only was growing annuums) as well.

There are many options that are open to you and really it comes down to personal preference.

GOOD LUCK

You ask for opinions and you will get different opinions :)

I use coco coir. I'm sure someone will mention rockwool. Both have good water/air ratio for root development.

You should also check out the cup method.

This year I used jiffy seed starting mix for half of my plants, and jiffy pellets for the other half. The sprouts in the mix were a bit faster, but both worked fine. I also removed about 1/3 of the peat from the pellets and fluffed them back up to full because they seem so dense. I germinated everything first with the "paper towel method".

I guess I'm buying something else then :rolleyes:
Coir/coco peat.
Geez, pots, heaters, lights, propagators, seed raising mix, perlite, fertilisers, hydrogen peroxide, chamomile tea...

It never ends...

;)

I only use Hoffmans Seed Starting Mix...I have tried other commercially available mixes and so far, Hoffmans is the cleanest, most light weight soil-less mix I have used...I have used Jiffy seed starting mix, Peat Pellets, and Light Warrior...

the following comments are my thoughts and comparisons of HSSM vs the others...

Jiffy Seed Starting Mix...good light weight starting mix with "Logs" in it...it is not as "clean" as HSSM

Light Warrior...again, a good light weight starting mix but it has too many large pieces of perlite in it and when handling it, the perlite comes to the top of the mix...

Jiffy Pellets...they give you good results if handled properly...but I don't have the time or patience when working with these...they are IMO labor intensive meaning you have to keep a close eye on the pellets once hydrated because they will dry out in a heartbeat...and...if your seeds germinate and start growing...any dry spell will absolutely kill them before they even break the surface...

This is just my opinions from my personal observations...bottom line, find what works for you and stick with it...

These are the only ones I have used and am not qualified to comment on other mixes...there are multitudes of ways to start seeds...

Good luck in your ventures

There are going to be lots of opinions on this one. As you know, I make my own soil mixes, and I advocate doing so yourself as well :) With the main ingredients of peat, verm, perlite, and optional organic matter, you can't go wrong as a simple seed starting mix. Keep in mind that this type of a simple mix won't sustain seedlings for more than a month or so without the need of light feeding or potting up into your main mix. In my main mixes that are suppose to "go the distance" all season, I include things like, worm castings, blood, bone, gypsum, lime, mycho inoculates, humus, manures, kelp meals, guanos etc etc...Depends on the plants needs :) Making your own super soil is MUCH easier on your wallet and much better for your plants. :)

edit: here ya go...
Anyone can make this soil and its much cheaper to make than buying pro mix or any other brand name mediums. Its light and airy so roots can ROCKET through it. This mix can be used for starting seed and propagating cuttings, as it is very conservative in the nutrient department.

If I'm using a standard 5 gallon bucket, the ratios are as follows:
First I start with 2 shovel fulls of native garden soil (from where the plants will be going) Some people are scared of using "non sterile materials" due to disease but if you're really that worried you can bake it in the oven...I don't have issues with disease that often, so I'd much rather have the organic material be "alive" than "sterile"
5809228316_c5597802f9.jpg

Then 2 shovel fulls of peat.
5808664647_439e6edf02.jpg

1 Shovel full of Vermiculite
5809222828_5d88047188.jpg

2 Shovel Fulls of Perlite (don't be stingy with this stuff, its great)
5808659519_ce7239a55d.jpg

Then some Mychoraeze innoculant (great for helping roots "eat" more)
5808659817_863edec31c.jpg

Then a small amount of a light N source( i used Kelp here, but worm castings is a great alternative)
5809223678_d6c68889ac.jpg

Mix really well with your hands and you will end up with a great soil mix tailored for these types of applications. It should look something like this beauty here.
5808660389_b8f48f3cb4.jpg

Awesome! Thanks for the opinions and information so far, I am looking into the lowest cost materials. I want to avoid peat pellets because I already have a seed tray for mix.

Does anyone use vermiculite at all? I have some really fine almost dust grade vermiculite.

I use soilless mix for my potting medium, 5 parts bark fines, 1 part pumice, 1 part sphagnum peat. I hear this is viable as a seed starting mix but I am skeptical because it is so coarse.
I tried that same recipe for starting some seeds. It was way too coarse in my experience, and as you surmised. The seeds sprout okay, but don't form a good root ball, IMO. Next year, I'll go with a fine mix for starters--probably the Hoffman's that AJ recommends. After all, his starts culminated in an entire pepper field of dreams!!!.... :cool:

That mix Pepper-Guru posted looks inviting. If the ingredients were fine, should be good for starting. I might try some of that as the basis for a pot-up medium.

As I was messin around this winter, one of my better starting mixes was Pro-Mix BX mixed with Jiffy Mix, which is largely vermiculite. Lots of ways to skin cats... :cool:

I tried that same recipe for starting some seeds. It was way too coarse in my experience, and as you surmised. The seeds sprout okay, but don't form a good root ball, IMO. Next year, I'll go with a fine mix for starters--probably the Hoffman's that AJ recommends. After all, his starts culminated in an entire pepper field of dreams!!!.... :cool:

That mix Pepper-Guru posted looks inviting. If the ingredients were fine, should be good for starting. I might try some of that as the basis for a pot-up medium.

As I was messin around this winter, one of my better starting mixes was Pro-Mix BX mixed with Jiffy Mix, which is largely vermiculite. Lots of ways to skin cats... :cool:

Indeed! So many ways to do this. I guess now I just try to find the cheapest one. It's tough being broke and in college and trying to fund a garden that looks like all of the peoples' on this forum! Doesn't help that my city has one garden supply that jacks up the prices.

Until I get a mix made I threw some seeds in paper towels in a sealed ziplock and put it on my computer. I already have sphagnum peat and fine vermiculite, maybe I will get some perlite and make a mix out of those three. I do not have garden soil available and most of them will be going into containers anyway.

Thanks for the help so far guys, I guess now I just need to experiment and see what works for me.

I started half my seeds with Burpee Pellets and the other half with Hoffman's. I had very good germination with both. They are polar opposites in how they deal with moisture. The Burpee dried out a bit too fast and the Hoffman's once wet (must have patience, it takes FOREVER to GET wet) holds it a bit too well for me. Next season I'm going to do these as a 50/50 mix and it should be perfect (for me)

I use coco for some seeds, wet it real good,put it Thur a 1/4" screen makes it real fine flush it with water a couple of times, plant works for me.my raised box's are 1/3 coco 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 compost. as said works for me.you need to find what works for you and your climate

I like coco too. Put it in tiny "bathroom" cups and transplant to a medium with some form of notes after second set of leaves shows. Or I just leave them in the tiny cups and feed them hydro nutes.

coco coir ground up coconut waste compressed into bricks, expands when wet, just like peat moss but renewable and works great for growing.

Back