Seed Suggestions for 2014? (Esp. Hot Stuffing Peppers!)

Hello All!

I'm ready to order my seeds for 2014, and want to try some new varieties. I'm particularly looking for hot stuffing peppers. My perfect pepper would have the texture and size of a poblano, the flavor of an aji limon, and the heat of a hot jalapeno (although many here would not consider that 'hot'). Mild but flavorful stuffing peppers would also make the less heat-inclined members of my family happy. :dance:

I'll be ordering some seed from NMSU, and will probably drop by Baker Creek's seed bank, so options from there would be nice. I'd also like to get some Carolina Reaper seeds, but it appears they're sold out for now.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Judy at Pepperlover has a large variety of Bishops Crown. They are great for stuffing. I`d also look at Aleppo peppers (Ford`s Fiery Foods just got seeds from Syria).

My experience is with 'Brazilizn Strarfish' ;  i had great yield, good flavor for the whole family: remove seeds and placenta and use it as a tasty mild salad pepper and stuffer.  Use with interior for spicier salsa.

"Balloon Pepper" aka "Bishops Hat"
A distinctive unique shaped pepper pod inspired its name. Crisp, bell-shaped fruits, 3" across, with 3 or 4 flat, square-tipped "wings" that flare dramatically. The wings are sweet but seeds are very hot. Tall, 3 - 4 ft. plants, small leaves.

BALLOON (PI 497974) Species: Baccatum Origin: Brazil Heat: Mild                                                               
 This variety has many names: Balloon, Pimenta Cambuci, Campane, Peri Peri, Ubatuba Cambuci, Nepalese bell, Aji Flor, Orchid and Bishops Hat to name a few!! This very unusual pod shaped variety is believed to have been transfered from South America to Europe by the Portuguese in the 18th century and is actually part of the species Capsicum baccatum var. pendulum. The plants are quite large growing 3 to 4 ft tall and produce 30 to 50 extremely weird 3 or 4 flat winged, wrinkled almost flying saucer like 1 ½" wide pods. The flesh of each pod is thin athough crisp. Pods mature red ~ 90-100 days after germination. The body of the pods have detectable heat, but the wings are sweet and mild.

BRAZILIAN STARFISH (PI 439368)  Species: Baccatum Origin: Brazil Heat:Hot
A much sort after and very unusual variety due to its uniquely shaped peppers. This tall vine like plant produces good yields of ¾" long by 1 ¾" wide starfish shaped very pungent peppers. The peppers mature red ~ 90 days after transplanting. The distinctive white flowers with the Baccatum greenish-yellow markings are very attractive. ## HIGHLY RECOMMENDED 

Roguejim said:
It's my understanding that the Christmas Bell is a larger Bishop's Crown.  Get seeds from aji joe.
same pepper different name.  Also goes by a number of other names

I love stuffing poblanos and New Mexico peppers - they may not be hot but the flavor is wonderful. I also like manzanos for both heat and flavor. Jalapeños are one of my favorites also - with extra sharp cheddar! You can't go wrong ordering seeds from NMSU in my opinion.

Scotch Bonnet!

And you can remove as much placenta as you like to make it family friendly with all it's deliciousness. I stuff 'em with 1/2 cream cheese 1/2 blue cheese, fried onions, fried portabelos, and wrap in bacon. Voila.

I love the chinense flavour.

My favorite stuffing and grilling pepper, is Beaver Dam.
Huge peppers, but they only have a mild heat, similar to an ancho.
Excellent, stuffed and grilled.

I also like New Mexico Hatch chillis, when in season.

Back