• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

pod Seed Train Beth Boyd Scotch Bonnet

mcbob

eXtreme
I grew this plant out from a seed train packet. It's definitely not a Scoth Bonnet. All pods pointed at the sky.
The pods are 3-4" and I see one starting to color up red. I plan on waiting for full color before tasting.
Anyone care to guess what I might have here?

Attachments

• IMG_1941[1].JPG
    IMG_1941[1].JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1943[1].JPG
    IMG_1943[1].JPG
    210.5 KB · Views: 34
My "ahayastani" chile de agua mazteco looks somewhat similar, but with pendant pods. Facing heaven looks a lot like that and grows upward, but with a blunter tip. I have various mirisol that look similar, though are generally somewhat longer for the width and perhaps somewhat rounder. If I remember right, they also have blunter tips. So, yeah, I guess I can't come up with a great fit for it.

Tasted a red one today. Very sweet and medium heat. It's going to be a great pepper for my custom sriracha sauce.
CaneDog might have found a close fit with Facing Heaven. These peppers seem larger compared to the pictures I looked at.
I guess it's a mutt. Great pepper anyway!

After looking at Chilie de Agua variations there might be an identification. I noted the description from Terroir seeds.

They have a triangular, conical shape about 4 inches long and 1 to 1 1/2 inches wide at the shoulders, tapering to a pointed tip. The skin is shiny, smooth and slightly wavy with a moderately thick flesh. Almost all of the heat is located in the ribs which contain the seeds. The heat is moderated by sweet, almost herbal and slightly sour flavors overlaying the spiciness and giving the characteristic complex flavors. The chiles grow erect or pointing upwards and can be prolific in the right conditions. They have about the same heat as a jalapeño but with much more flavor, most often used fully ripe which is a medium-light green up to orange to moderate red in color.

This sounds like a perfect match!
Thanks, Ahayastani and CaneDog for some idea where to search.
This plant is in a pot. I believe it's perfect for in ground growing in my climate. I'll save some seeds as I really like it.

The chiles grow erect or pointing upwards and can be prolific in the right conditions. They have about the same heat as a jalapeño but with much more flavor, most often used fully ripe which is a medium-light green up to orange to moderate red in color.

Allow me to comment on this: chile de agua is often used (stuffed, mostly) when still green. Varieties from Oaxaca have an upward growing habit (but not the mazateco from Chiapas, as @CaneDog pointed out) and I find them (considerably) hotter than jalapeños.
Post us an update next season as well, if you decide to grow from seeds saved this year :)

@mcbob, I think @ahayastani might be on to something. I haven't grown Facing Heaven, but here's a Chile de Agua I grew several years ago. Seed source was a lady in Texas. It doesn't have a pointed tip though. I remember liking the pepper, but I don't remember how hot it was. Maybe I'll give it another grow next season, 🙂.

Chili de Agua 2.JPG Chili de Agua.JPG Chile de Agua.JPG

Last edited:
Thought I would show another picture. These peppers ripen very fast. I have already harvested 5 red. My fresh salsa is excellent with these.
Not sure if growing in the pot pushed it to ripen fast. It sure seems like a fit for my climate though.
I attached a pic of the flower for comparison. Not the best phone pic but almost focused.

Attachments

• IMG_1979[1].JPG
    IMG_1979[1].JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1980[1].JPG
    IMG_1980[1].JPG
    175 KB · Views: 18
Back