• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seedling leaf discolouration

Hi there. Its great to have found a forum about hot stuff! :) I have a problem with my new seedlings. They have seen maybee 3 hours total of sunlight on one day this weekend because the weather was so nice, anyway, two of my 5 are showing a dark greenish discolouration that has been growing on the tops and edges of a couple leaves. The patches have been growing in size which concerns me. I'll post pics later tonight after my exam. Thanks for your help!
One more thing, they did get over watered this past weekend so I used paper towels to absorb as much excess water from the mini-pots as damage control. No plant food was used. These peppers grow and look very similar to common garden chili's.

sun burn usually bleaches the leaves.

If you rub the leaf, is there residue?

I'll comment more when i see picture 

Undekka said:
These peppers grow and look very similar to common garden chili's.
I don't know…. does anyone on this site understand what "common garden chiles" are??? LOL

Pics will definitely help. From your description, though, it sounds like something is on the surface of the leaves, not that something is changing within the leaves themselves - is this accurate? You describe it as dark green, but does it lean towards black?

The leaf in the centre here has a dark edge all around the tip and is curled slightly. Healthy leaves in the background:

Sort of black I guess, more like a dark green. Notice the curl to it as well, which is normal for new leaves/buds, but this persists:

Those plants are healthy, just a little sunburnt. The purple coloration is the plant's defense against high energy violet/ultraviolet light. When you plant those guys outside, expect that purple color to be on a lot of the plant's older/more exposed leaves. Jamison's correct, just raise the lights a little higher and your plants won't be toasty anymore

Lighting, ok
I am using a 700 lumen LED spot light at a distance of ~20cm. Is that too bright? it may just look like that to you becuase of the expose & whit e balance of my camera phone

SciurusDoomus said:
Those plants are healthy, just a little sunburnt. The purple coloration is the plant's defense against high energy violet/ultraviolet light. When you plant those guys outside, expect that purple color to be on a lot of the plant's older/more exposed leaves. Jamison's correct, just raise the lights a little higher and your plants won't be toasty anymore

I'm familiar with this. Which makes sense, the only affected leaves are those that were in the centre of the spotlight. Thanks guys!

Undekka said:
Lighting, ok
I am using a 700 lumen LED spot light at a distance of ~20cm. Is that too bright? it may just look like that to you becuase of the expose & whit e balance of my camera phone

I'm familiar with this. Which makes sense, the only affected leaves are those that were in the centre of the spotlight. Thanks guys!
20cm seems pretty darn close but LEDs don't really give off a lot of heat. Back up the light to 30-35cm and put some reflectors around your plants. Do you have any? Pics would be helpful.

Back