• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seedling Starter Mix or Potting Soil?

When I begin seed germination, I will be using Jiffy peat pellets. When I transplant the peat pellets into Solo cups, should I use seedling starter mix, or regular potting soil?

Is there any reason why I can't just transplant the Jiffy pellets straight into #1 pots, skipping the Solos altogether?

You can transfer to #1 immediately if you want, but a lot of people pot up slowly to build a tighter rootball. It's up to you.

I use potting mix in my solo cups, and I think most others do as well.

Everyone does these pot ups slightly different, and conditions like light, temp, humidty, quality of soil and water are also different. So try both methods and see what works for you. I sow my seeds in coco coir, which is pretty much what is in a jiffy pellet and then pot up in small pot changes.

Although I am a newer grower this is my experience. Last year I started my plants in jiffy pellets and took some straight into 1 gal pots with potting mix and put others in a 3 1/2 by 3 1/2 by 5" pots with a light, seed starting mix. The ones in the starter mix developed quicker than the ones in pots with potting mix. I think thier roots developed quicker because they could move around in the soil easier. I am no expert but that is my experience.

Back