seeds Seedlings are Wilting - Why?

I have a bunch of seedlings that were sown on 01/11 and grown under fluorescent lights. Some are 6-10 inches tall already. Under the lights, the peppers have grown nicely - most with 6 or more leaves.

Until yesterday, the seedlings were in a sealed container directly under the lights. It was warm (+86 F) and very humid. The plans exhibited no signs of stress and deep green and apparently healthy.

Yesterday I transplanted two of the larger plants. Within an hour, the transplants were droopy and the leaves curled. The transplants were watered, the weather was in the mid-70's, and no direct sunlight. I noticed that one of the plants that I touched (but not transplanted) - the top leaves also curled. This seedling happens to be pubescens and quite hairy.

The container is now on the back porch with the top vented a few inches.

Is this a matter of hardening-off, perhaps the dry air vs. sealed humid container? I don't smoke so no tobacco on my hands ... the transplants went down-hill pretty quick so it must be the environment.

Any ideas, suggest, comments?

You talk about transplanting, do you mean you potted them up? If so, it could be that you shocked them in the process. It's quite common. Give them a little more time, and see if they bounce back.

Seedlings should have the dome taken off as soon as they pop up.

They could have damp off. They could be transpiring too much going from humid to dry. They could have wind burn (its not just the sun you have to worry about when hardening).

A picture could be worth a 1000 words.

I believe it is a matter of humidity (or lack there of). The plants were in a controlled environment since sprouting. Very humid, no air circulation, and heated with a seedling mat.

I'll have to grab a few photos when I get home.

Back