seeds Seedlings Closing in the Sun

Hello Everyone,

I just had a question about seedlings, (I know its typically too late but in my new house come October I have a green house and will be making a growing room).

I started a Bhut, Yellow scorpion, and a white jabenero recently and they sprout perfectly I started them in solo cups, my question is now that they are started I put them outside under the cover of a grow hut and the first "leaves" not the true set but the first 2 leaves close up when put outside.

Was just looking for some opinions on why this happens? Should I keep them out of the direct sun until they have their first true leaves?

Thanks !!

-Steve 

They open and close a lot like that especially when they are young, it's considered normal.  The more important thing is to introduce them into direct sun slowly...a process called hardening off, and it can be done as soon as they sprout.

Their first introduction into direct sun should be no more than 1/2 hour to 40 minutes, when they droop you'll know they've had enough. Then increase the amount of time in increments, 2nd day 45 min to 1 hour, 3rd day 90 minutes, etc etc.

Just be careful because the time window from drooping, to death, is very short. I've even seen seedlings take no more than 20 minutes their first time out.

Jetchuka,

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it as this is my first solid attempt at starting from seed.

Here's a follow up the seedlings were under a dome as mentioned which made it even more hot for them but after 2-3 hours they were not wilting at all, 1 (of 3) was just closed, should I leave them out until droopy or err on the side of caution and just expose them slowly even though they are not drooping?

Thanks,

-Steve

Once sprouted, remove the dome permanently, otherwise they are highly at risk of a "damping off" infection.

Err on the side of caution, expose them slowly before drooping, because the time window to death is short. I lost a good 20+ plants in nursery cells that way in 2011. they had their 3rd set of leaves.

But for some reason, the rules with newborn sprouts is a little different. They are pretty tough when they don't have their first set of leaves yet, and can be introduced to lots of sun right after sprouting. But you've passed that point so they need a more gradual hardening off process.

Back