• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seedlings with problems?

After my Thai hot and bhut jolokias sprouted I took them out from the heater and put them outside but protected from the sun and wind for about 2 weeks, then I put them where most of the wind is broken but they get about 1-2 hours of full sun a day. Then I noticed two of the sprouts leaves are turning slightly white. ( bhut jolokia ) And the thai hot sprouts leaves wrinkle a little bit.

The Thai sprout leaves unwrinkled as soon as the sun isn't directly on it any more, so thats not a big deal but I haven't seen the white leave the bhut jolokias leaves yet. Should I be worried? Thanks.

Try a shot that's just in focus, don't resize, and give me a link - I'll take it into PS for you and see what I can do.

Alright this is all I managed to get. If you want me to take another in focus from a short distance let me know. :)

IMG00041-20100921-13571.jpg

sun/wind burn...they will definitely recover...if the growth tips of the plant dies, that can be a good thing because new growth will appear making your plant bushy...more bushy=more nodes=more pods

sun/wind burn...they will definitely recover...if the growth tips of the plant dies, that can be a good thing because new growth will appear making your plant bushy...more bushy=more nodes=more pods

Your vision must be way better than mine - for all I can tell, that could be sun glare!

just reading their description caused me to think that Geeme, especially "turning slightly white", not the photo...but that one white leaf kinda gives it away...if it is sunscald, the leaf will become crisp and eventually fall off...minor setback...almost all of my bhuts got sunscald this year and that is why they aren't as tall as they were last year...but dang, they are bushy...

Your plants are gorgeous, AJ, and clearly from your videos (saw the lastest this afternoon), I'd say you're the master! I've also had seedlings turn white from other causes (but not peppers, which I've never tried from seed), so was curious to see a pic.

G

I tried putting my seedlings out THAT early this year, and they died. When I grew the next set of plants, I waited until they had a good 3 sets of leaves. Then just hardened. Didnt have 1 problem. Im no expert, but maybe you are putting them in the sun to early.

You cannot put plants out into warm weather too early! Seeds sprout all the time, once the soil temps warm, and when they first sprout they have only the cotyledons. You can expose them to too much sunlight, wind and heat too quickly, especially if they have become acclimated to indoor, lower-lux lights, no fan and low temps. But if you have ever tried to germinate seeds outside from the get-go, given the temps are warm enough, you will see as many of them survive as do the ones in an artificial environment.

Mike

Thanks for advice guys, I finally managed to get a nice picture ( borrowed a friends camera ). My seedlings usually aren't that dirty its just the lawn guys just came over and blow grass clippings all over my plants. :(

DSC00516.jpg

does the leaf have a silvery sheen to it or maybe a bronzish-silver ?

Your pic is only at 72 ppi, so this is the best I could do with it. Do you have the raw file? The thing is with sun- or wind-burn, I would expect the leaves to curl up a bit at the edges, and also be whitish at the tips. How does the leaf structure feel? Is there a difference between the greener parts and the whiter parts - one seem thinner than the other?

baby.jpg

Your pic is only at 72 ppi, so this is the best I could do with it. Do you have the raw file? The thing is with sun- or wind-burn, I would expect the leaves to curl up a bit at the edges, and also be whitish at the tips. How does the leaf structure feel? Is there a difference between the greener parts and the whiter parts - one seem thinner than the other?

baby.jpg

Yes but unfortunately its 72 dpi, not much of a difference lol.

EDIT: The leaf in its entirety, curls a little bit. The white section feels the same as far as I can tell, but I am being very light on it as I don't want to risk tearing or pulling it.

Sunburn still likely the prob, but my sunburned plants in the past haven't looked that good - possibly you just caught yours sooner than I caught mine - mine definitely looked fried around the edges of the leaves, and yours don't. Just protect them a tad bit more than you have, and they should recover.

Note pics usually come out of the camera at 72 ppi, but much bigger (depending on the megapix), then I can resize without resampling and get a much higher resolution (hence crisper pic.) I had to resample to make the pic bigger - did it come out of the camera that way, or did you resize it on your own? (Note most consumer imaging packages will resample automatically, unless you hunt down how to turn off the resampling, if that's an option.) Do you know the megapix on that camera? Not important for now, but if you ever have an issue again and I'm around to help out, if you have a way to send the bigger one, that's more helpful. For now, though, even with the resampling it's easier to see what's really going on with the leaves.

Back