• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seeds from the Dehydrator

PaulG

eXtreme
I am assuming that seeds that have been dehydrated in the pods are no longer viable. Any comments on this?

i never save any of my seeds from the dehydrator but i do throw them in the woods and ive seen them pop before. i dry on 150.

I dry pods at 110-120 and had seeds germinate. I dont dry them so they are crispy there is some bend to them . Not sure if you really crisp them how good they would be. I generally dont use these seeds anyways and sometimes will grind them when making powder

I haven't tried yet, but Millworkman said in a previous thread that he had excellent viability from seeds dried with peppers in a dehydrator at 95F.

Paul it all depends on the temp and time duration. I deseed the pods before I dehydrate and I use the lowest setting to preserve the pod color. Sure it may take longer to dry but theres hardly any difference in power consumption since the heating element fires up for shorter durations. If your dehydrator is running in the 90's for temp you should be ok. Years back I've dryed seeds on a sunny painted window sill...probably 100+ deg. The seeds were still viable the following year. Nowdays I'll whack the top of the crown off and leave the seeds intact as a group to air dry. They usually spend 2 weeks on papper towels in the grow room which the current temp is around 80. The biggest mistake folks are making right now would be deseeding from semi/unripe pods......thats where the germination curve (fall off) mostly occurs...

Thanks, everyone, very helpfu suggestions and info.

I've been drying at 130F as per the dehydrator directions,
but will dial back a little on the next batch. I imagine that
the seeds are not viable after that. No big deal, I take the
seeds out of the best pods and dry them, but it is a real pain
to deseed a hundred pods! I'm just letting the other seeds fall
through the trays and chucking them after the pods have dried,
but there are still lots of seeds at the bottom of the dried pod
baggies. I should try germinating a couple of the dehydrated
seeds just to see if they are viable :doh: :doh: !

Thanks again, friends!

Good to know. I was assuming seeds from the dehydrator were good to go. This year I dried between 105 and 110. Will test first before spreading around.

Good to know. I was assuming seeds from the dehydrator were good to go. This year I dried between 105 and 110. Will test first before spreading around.

I harvest my seeds before dehydrating, but when testing seeds from the dehydrator they are still viable and I run the dehydrators at around 110F. I'll wager you'll have no trouble getting those seeds to pop. I think the seeds are probably sheltered and not exposed to as high a temp while still in the pods.

Back