• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake Seeds in or out for powder?

I am planning to dry peppers to make powder this year, and was just wondering if I should grind the seeds with the peppers or remove them prior to grinding? Or should I dry the peppers with the seeds in them but remove them prior to grinding? Or any combination of the above? Will the powder be hotter with the seeds in? This is my first year growing so need all the advice I can get.

Thank you.

Ark,

In my experience making powder (which has been from peppers bought not grown but still fresh) I dehydrate mine in a dehydrator and include the seeds, the seeds grind down to powder just like the skin and meat so why not??  I have always believed that when seeds are included it is always hotter so that could be used as a heat controller. (add seeds as needed to increase or decrease heat.)

Just my .02.

-Steve

it is a matter of preference.  that said I prefer removing the seeds for powder.  if you are uising a dehydrator, try drying them at the lowest temperature setting.  It will take longer but it helps retain color among other things (someone more knowledgeable on the benefits could post). if you plan to keep the seeds for growing, dry them out separately for best results. 

I plan to keep seeds from everything I am growing to give to other people, and for growing next year, and trade for other seeds also. But once I have all the seeds I need for all those things if leaving the seeds in the peppers for powder will make for hotter/tastier powder or anything then I will leave them in. Unless there are any downsides to doing that? 

Anything tabasco sized or smaller the seeds stay in, ain't nobody got time to de-seed chiletepins. Anything bigger than that though I like to split them in half & de-seed before drying them for powder.

Some say the seeds give a bitter flavor to the powder. They definitely alter color. I usually leave them in unless I want a good solid color, like when I grind Chocolate Habs for powder or flakes. Removing the seeds produces a chocolate brown color that makes for a gorgeous rub. I personally can not taste the difference between seeds in or seeds out. It is all good to me.

I'm one of the people that prefer to take out the seeds mainly because some actually make your powder bitter, so as a habit i just remove all of them, I dry the seed separate as i like to give the seeds away also i 'm in the process of doing hand seeded guerrilla stands of peppers to see if I can start semi wild stands Off topic. I think when making the powders it might take a few more peppers to reach the same heat level as seeded powders, but pure powder just seems to taste that much better and smoother.

I will probably just do all my powders without seeds this year. I might try a couple batches with them in just to learn all the differences first hand though. Thank you all for your input, it was very helpful.

Sincerely, Reverend Michael Massey

I think most people would be hard pressed to say if seeds are in or out of my powders. The colors of all my powders look like the ripe pods unless they are blended or smoked. If you are going to do a few ounces of powder removing seeds might not be a big chore but think about thousands of pods. Experiment and see which you prefer.

Actually, supposedly seeds contribute very little to heat and can actually be bitter. He heat is concetrate in the pith and along the interior walls of the pod to my knowledge.

Back