• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seeds in Toronto and growing instructions

This time of year you're better off looking for a nursery that sells plants.

+1 It's a little late to start now. I also recommend buying plants at this point too. Especially with the shorter season Canada has compared to where I live.

Where can i buy habs and bonnet pepper seeds in toronto. when can i plant them indoors.

Next season plant them mid-winter.

Edit: I got a lot of my seeds from http://pepperlover.com . I had a high germination rate with her seeds.

This time of year you're better off looking for a nursery that sells plants.
A better remedy than my original post.
I had a late start this year as well, due to an electrical fire in the garage where I keep my grow boxes. I'll manage to put out about half of what I was planning on, but I'll have to store the remainder of my seeds for next year. I've been buying plants to make up for it.

The only plants I could ever find in the GTA were cayennes. Similarily with seeds, there aren't any places that I know of to buy from and I've been looking for a while. I feel your pain. I would order online, you'll save time from searching everywhere.

I have Lots of seeds from last year and before that. Unfortunately no bonnets though. You'll be pushing the outer limits starting now as others mention and it just so happens that the seeds you mention are about the only decent hots you'll find at a nursery around here and even then they may not be the real thing.
If your determined let me know.

I'm not sure about quality but you can get bhuts, Scotch bonnets and many annuums at
http://www.richters....id=738713.13566

Many garden center/nurseries I've seen have orange habs and sometimes Caribbean reds, but you really do have to look

Hmm, I wonder why they classify the bhut is an annuum and annul. Hmm, they even say it's a "hybrid of C. chinense and C. frutescens" in their description, which I agree they are. Peppers are perennial. I think c. annuum being annul is a common mistake because of the name.

for seeds, check which retailers sell mcfayden seeds(they are owned by mckenzie seed), they have a packaged orange magnum habanero, i see it all over the place, i think the last place was rona & lowes. none of the big seed companies supply bonnets, however, i did find fresh red ones in port colborn last august, it was at their sobeys. our sobeys & walmart super centre regularly have orange habs - you may buy the pods and use the seeds.

when canadian tire bring in their plants, they usually have some orange habs but you have to get them early as they usually leave them out overnight and they have a life cycle of about 3 days. i found caribbean reds and orange habs at home depot. last summer a local nursery was well stocked with caribbean reds and a orange hab called "hottie", so perhaps you will see more of them as well.

good luck.

Be careful telling a noob(not saying anybody here is) that peppers are "perennial". They most certainly are, but not if left outside in Toronto!

Also, I usually start my habaneros indoors, 1st week of March, and I have huge harvests, so it may not be too late. I must note that where I am we do have nice warm nights(but not hot) (65F) for more than 3 months, so if Toronto has significantly cooler nights (below 55F) throughout the Summer then you will be better off buying an established seedling somewhere. I think if you plant seeds before April, you may still have at least a small harvest of ripe pods before mid/late September. If you keep them in pots you could bring them inside to finish ripening and have a decent harvest.

The current supply at most grocery chains I've checked are all selling Jamacian Scotch Bonnets grown in the Dominican ?
The SB's I bought at a nursery last season for fun turned out completely orange and smooth yet not even close to a Hab. The Red Carribeans all died and they were my only fatalities. It's weird around here and very odd if you actually get what you think your buying.

Be careful telling a noob(not saying anybody here is) that peppers are "perennial". They most certainly are, but not if left outside in Toronto!

Also, I usually start my habaneros indoors, 1st week of March, and I have huge harvests, so it may not be too late. I must note that where I am we do have nice warm nights(but not hot) (65F) for more than 3 months, so if Toronto has significantly cooler nights (below 55F) throughout the Summer then you will be better off buying an established seedling somewhere. I think if you plant seeds before April, you may still have at least a small harvest of ripe pods before mid/late September. If you keep them in pots you could bring them inside to finish ripening and have a decent harvest.
Agreed; I still have some seeds I"m just starting. Normally I'd think it was too late, but I was still harvesting in November last year.

Back