• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seeds not germinating! Help!

Chili heads!

Help a brother out.  I have a wide variety of pepper seeds (Carolina Reaper, Red 7 Pot Brain, Butch T, Serrano, Red Savina, Red Scotch Bonnet, Anaheim, Jalapeño, Thai hot, cowhorn, and bell), and NONE of them are germinating.  Last year I had a huge crop.

My set-up:  I used peat pellets (like I have the last few years) and one of those jiffy ‘greenhouses’ you can get anywhere.  The pellets are in the tray, which is on a heating pad made for seedlings.  I have two of my four 6400k T5 grow lights on eight hours a day.

I started the seeds via the ‘paper towel’ method for two weeks, and when some of the thai and bell peppers developed their ‘tails,’ I moved them all into the pellets.  After almost two weeks in the pellets, I got nothing.  I gently pried some of the pellets open yesterday, and saw zero roots developing or anything.

My theories: (1) It is too wet in the ‘greenhouse.’  The condensation tends to collect on the lid and drip back down, keeping a lot of the pellets wet.  I have to ‘wring’ them out pretty often.  (2) Too much light?  Again, I did this EXACTLY last year, and had huge success with habs, scotch bonnets, and jalapeños.  (3) The peat is a no-go? I’ve read (yesterday) that it can be acidic and hurt them.

My thoughts on a solution: (1) Poke holes in the lid/keep it cracked? (2) Let them dry out more before re-watering, or (3) transfer them into a bed of seed starter mix instead of pellets.

Questions: (1) Can I transfer the seeds, or will that harm them? (2)If they've been too moist for too long, are my seeds ruined?

***I understand the super-hots and very hot peppers can take some time.  I would expect to at least see the bell, thai, serrano, cowhorn, and jalapeños starting to do something***

Sounds like a humidity problem . Seeds like humidity , but not being soaked all the time.
When I germinate , I put the seedtrays in ziplock bags and all you see is a slight mist on the plastic top.
Drops forming and falling down sounds like to much moisture and heat.

If you have seeds, start fresh.
Good luck!

That's all the seeds I have right now, think those are screwed?
karoo said:
Sounds like a humidity problem . Seeds like humidity , but not being soaked all the time.
When I germinate , I put the seedtrays in ziplock bags and all you see is a slight mist on the plastic top.
Drops forming and falling down sounds like to much moisture and heat.

If you have seeds, start fresh.
Good luck!

Thanks for the input.  I'll get more seeds and start again.  My thought was to do a bed of seed starter mix, and just place them in the tray with a lid, but poke some holes in the lid.  That way, still greenhouse-ish, but can vent more.  I hate getting started so late, but oh well.  

Thoughts on that?
karoo said:
Looks like it , but no harm in giving them a week more.

I direct sow my seeds in solo cups and use a clear solo cup that i cut the top 1/2 inch off of and turn it upside down to make a small terrarium dome. You don't need light to germ seeds just some heat.  However I did put mine under the lights since my T5 HO lights give off some nice heat and i used no heating pad underneath.  I like to see small beads of water all over the dome and sometimes you see a run going down the side.  If it is very active you may have it too hot and cooking your seeds, no condensation and it is probably too cold which will take longer to germ with lower success rate.  I am growing MoA Scotch Bonnets and my seeds germ'ed in about 5-7 days.  Tomatoes in 2-4 days.

Thanks for the input!  I'm going to try again with a tray that has ventilation in the hood/lid so I can better control temp.  I think it got too hot, combined with too much water.  I had a heating pad in addition to the lights...do you think perhaps just use the pad and leave them by a window?
twiasp said:
I direct sow my seeds in solo cups and use a clear solo cup that i cut the top 1/2 inch off of and turn it upside down to make a small terrarium dome. You don't need light to germ seeds just some heat.  However I did put mine under the lights since my T5 HO lights give off some nice heat and i used no heating pad underneath.  I like to see small beads of water all over the dome and sometimes you see a run going down the side.  If it is very active you may have it too hot and cooking your seeds, no condensation and it is probably too cold which will take longer to germ with lower success rate.  I am growing MoA Scotch Bonnets and my seeds germ'ed in about 5-7 days.  Tomatoes in 2-4 days.

They don't need light at all until they are up and out of the husk.  If you have small droplets forming on the dome and not constant running down the side but some runs every once in a while, I would say the heat level is fine.  I water mine well but not super waterlogged when putting the seed in, because some of that moisture in the soil will be stuck to the sides of the dome on top. 

I've had the soaked pellet problem. Once they get waterlogged and can't really dry out, they can rot the seeds - in general, I've found the peat pellets/peat pots to be unforgiving - it's tough (for me) to keep a good balance between too moist and too dry. I switched to using 2" soil blocks to start and letting them air out for at least an hour/day. I keep them take-out food trays on a heat mat and it works great.

Good luck in your second go!

Thanks!

Yea, this will be the last year i attempt using pellets.  Can't seem to win!  Either it's completely soggy or way too dried out.
ako1974 said:
I've had the soaked pellet problem. Once they get waterlogged and can't really dry out, they can rot the seeds - in general, I've found the peat pellets/peat pots to be unforgiving - it's tough (for me) to keep a good balance between too moist and too dry. I switched to using 2" soil blocks to start and letting them air out for at least an hour/day. I keep them take-out food trays on a heat mat and it works great.

Good luck in your second go!

too deep , with to much water , gotta take the lid off a couple times a day , for about 15min. with a little fan blowing over them . Gotta get a little fresh air a dry some . 

I live in South Carolina...being almost April, am I too late to start seeds now?

I would usually do beginning of February, but my fiancee killed my seedlings while I was on vacation, and then I started again with this result
moruga welder said:
too deep , with to much water , gotta take the lid off a couple times a day , for about 15min. with a little fan blowing over them . Gotta get a little fresh air a dry some . 

hndrx1477 said:
I live in South Carolina...being almost April, am I too late to start seeds now?

I would usually do beginning of February, but my fiancee killed my seedlings while I was on vacation, and then I started again with this result

well you haven't much to lose , other than a few seeds . You can grow them out in 3 gal. buckets , won't get a huge harvest but enough o enjoy , you have a later winter than us . 

You can get some plants from 96Strat , he has some really nice hard to find hybrids ,  You can't go wrong with his .  Either way you don't have to let it be a wash .        :party:

You got sprouts in 5-7 days?  Or they just developed the initial root?
twiasp said:

Order a few plants from some people or sources this year if you like and start from seedlings next year.  You do have a longer growing season than most probably in SC, I lived in Charleston for 3 years.  If you order plants, especially some superhots and such that are slow growers it can give you a big jump start instead of starting fresh again this year.

Do you recommend any sources? I'm thinking I will start my super hots via transplant like you said, and see what I can do with my seeds. I figure I am late, but still within a window where I could feasibly harvest in maybe mid august. What do you think?

twiasp said:
Order a few plants from some people or sources this year if you like and start from seedlings next year.  You do have a longer growing season than most probably in SC, I lived in Charleston for 3 years.  If you order plants, especially some superhots and such that are slow growers it can give you a big jump start instead of starting fresh again this year.

Look through some of the glogs, maybe check the vendor vault.  Not sure if Juanitos is selling plants this year or variety.  Joynershotpeppers seems to be a nice guy also, with a lot if knowledge.  TXCG I think ordered several types of plants from somebody last year that arrived in good shape.

Not sure why you mention watering them !!  If you soak the seeds for a few hours before placing in the pod and the pod is already moist/expanded and are placed in a kit - there really is no need to water. ( the seeds will absorb all the needed water for starting when soaked to germ and sprout and the humidity dome will keep the pods moist for plenty of time with no need for watering or at most a quick misting with a spray bottle - so watering should not be needed ! )

hndrx1477
Posted Today, 10:34 AM
Do you recommend any sources? I'm thinking I will start my super hots via transplant like you said, and see what I can do with my seeds. I figure I am late, but still within a window where I could feasibly harvest in maybe mid august. What do you think?

Check CCN (Cross Country Nursery) -- very good variety and very reliable vendor for a decent price. ( http://www.chileplants.com/ )

hndrx1477 said:

96STRAT ,      :party:

Back