• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Seeds sown so far

Here's what I have sown so far. For unknown reasons, 18 Bhuts are not included, maybe because I had potted them before I started this log.

Of course, lots of stuff will be direct sown - at least 500 onions, 300 sweet potatoes, enough peas to finish out two rows, then later on carrots, beans and cucumbers. Plus ten fruit trees, about 150 strawberries, ten blackberry bushes and some grapes. And I have another 256 lettuce seeds to sow this evening.

I'm hoping to start transplanting/planting in two-three weeks (lettuce, chard, peas, onions, sweet potatoes) and then in 3-4 weeks, early tomatoes. I have some Agribon row covers for about 450-500 early toms so I should be protected to about 28 degrees or so.

seedssown3-23.jpg

Mike

Here's what I have sown so far. For unknown reasons, 18 Bhuts are not included, maybe because I had potted them before I started this log.

Of course, lots of stuff will be direct sown - at least 500 onions, 300 sweet potatoes, enough peas to finish out two rows, then later on carrots, beans and cucumbers. Plus ten fruit trees, about 150 strawberries, ten blackberry bushes and some grapes. And I have another 256 lettuce seeds to sow this evening.

I'm hoping to start transplanting/planting in two-three weeks (lettuce, chard, peas, onions, sweet potatoes) and then in 3-4 weeks, early tomatoes. I have some Agribon row covers for about 450-500 early toms so I should be protected to about 28 degrees or so.

seedssown3-23.jpg

Mike

Nice list wordwiz!

Btw i can see the 18 bhut. But its named as Jolokia in your list no? ;)

//Oscar

Oscar,

Actually, no. The 18 seedlings I transplanted were from much earlier. They are now large enough to transplant into pots or the garden, but far too early. Someplace, sometime, besides the 18 listed and the 18 transplanted, I sowed another 30 or so seeds. Once I found the area was 24,000 sq. ft. instead of 16,000, I started sowing a bunch more stuff and didn't really keep great records.

This is all a part of a Demonstration Project I'm doing with a local village to show how unused/underused land can become part of a Locavore. Thus the wide variety of veggies/fruits. Plus, to maximize production, I will grow as many as three crops in the same row in one season (peas, followed by beans and cucumbers, and then more peas) plus interplanting - growing lettuce between tomatoes for example. If I had enough experience, I'm sure that area could effectively become close to three acres.

Mike

Wow! Your going to have tabasco pods coming out of your ears!

That works! Part of my plan is to dehydrate all the peppers I do not sell, grind them up and mix them together then sell a spice blend. I won't mind a bit if I have have 10 pounds of spice! Ditto for any fruit - have you looked at the prices stores charge for 4-6 ounces of dried apricots, cherries, blackberries or apples! Slice, dice, dry and package! I probably need to get one of those vacuum sealers, just to keep them real dry.

Mike

I made a mistake last night and visited Eden Brothers' site. Ordered a couple ounces each of two types of watermelon (Florida Giant and Sugar Baby) and melons (Edisto 47 and Banana). When I finish ordering and planting everything, I should have a cornucopia of fruits and veggies.

Mike

Got another major category today - 300 sweet potato slips (starts). A collection or white, orange and purple. Not a bad price - $96 shipped to me.

About the only things left I need to order are onion plants, strawberries, blackberries, grapes and the fruit trees.

Mike

Back